I have an app where I keep getting this error.

This is a c# .net 3.5 app running on a windows 2003 server with IIS 6.0 connecting to an Oracle 10g db.

This app had no problems during testing where it was connecting to an Oracle 9i DB but once I moved to the production 10g db I started getting this error.

All the information I have found regarding this issue just says to make sure that you either close or dispose all your commands and increase your allowed cursors in Oracle.

I have set the allowed cursors in oracle to 1000 and encapsulated all my connections in a try catch finally block where I dispose all the connections, commands, and datareaders but I continue to get this error.

Both servers have .net 3.5 sp1 and both are using the same odp.net provider version so I am confused on why I don't see this error in test.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this issue I would like to hear them

Thanks.

Post your code where you are executing commands to the server with the connection, command, datareader, etc. Also make sure to post your connection string.

For testing I would shut connection pooling to the oracle server off. It sounds like connections are being hung up in the pool and causing the server to run out of resources. I don't use Oracle so I couldn't explain why this happened from 9i to 10g.

Connection String

<add name="DWSTAGE" connectionString="Data Source=(DESCRIPTION =(ADDRESS_LIST =(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ProdServer)&#xA;            (PORT = 1521)))(CONNECT_DATA =(SERVICE_NAME = Servicename)));Password=password;User ID=user"/>

This method is the main accessor of the DB.

void PopulateDataTable()
        {
            string query = buildSQL();
            TableGridView.Columns.Clear();
            Table = new DataTable();

            string TableName = Session["TableSelected"].ToString();
            string Entity = Session["entity"].ToString();

            OracleConnection con = null;
            OracleCommand cmd = null;
            OracleDataAdapter da = null;
                        

            try
            {
                con = new OracleConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["DWSTAGE"].ConnectionString);
                con.Open();
                cmd = new OracleCommand(query, con);
                cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
                da = new OracleDataAdapter(cmd);                

                da.Fill(Table);

                if (Table.Rows.Count > 0)
                {
                    DataView dv = Table.DefaultView;

                    if (this.ViewState["SortExpression"] != null)
                    {
                        dv.Sort = string.Format("{0} {1}", ViewState["SortExpression"].ToString(), this.ViewState["SortOrder"].ToString());
                    }

                    TableGridView.DataSource = Table;
                    TableGridView.DataBind();
                }

                if (Session["Search"].Equals(1))
                {
                    if (Table.Rows.Count < 1)
                    {
                        Session["Search"] = 0;
                        Literal1.Text = "<Script lang=JScript> alert('No results found with your search criteria.');</Script>";
                        txtSearch.Text = "";
                        txtSearch.Focus();
                        PopulateDataTable();
                    }
                }
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                msg_lbl.Text = ex.Message;//(ex.ToString()).Substring(40,200);
                MsgPanel.Visible = true;
                return;
            }
            finally
            {
                cmd.Dispose();
                da.Dispose();
                con.Close();
                con.Dispose();
            }

        }

I know it has been awhile but I solved this awhile ago. The problem was with the datagridview control data accessor on one of my pages. I had to change to the odp.net accessor and the cursor problem went away. The only draw back was that I had to build all the methods for the functionality from the control that I wanted manually. No built in sorting or paging. The fun of mixing Microsoft and Oracle products.

Edited 6 Years Ago by cgyrob: n/a

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.