Hi,
Iam now using Mandriva from external HDD and want to install my development tools. I need to install wxPython, Matplotlib, and some other packages. How to do that in Mandriva?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Doesn't Mandriva have a repository?

it have but only Python 2.6.4 no modules!
May be I too new bee to recognize the trick behind :)

You must open the mandriva software manager (if you are using gnome, this is in the Applications menu: install and remove software). Then you type 'wx' or 'matplotlib' or 'python' in the software manager search form. Then you select the packages you need and you click on the apply button. Make sure to select the right packages for your processor (there may be different packages for 32 bits and 64 bits).

Aha! I use KDE (I'm KDE fan), and I was updating my update failed now it keep me asking login and I get no where :sad:
I'm trying to fix that and I will then try your option. Before It crashed, I wasn't able to see them under programming! I have to fix it first....very sad

You may have to configure your package sources. Also, I recommend the gnome version because I found that it was much faster than the KDE version (still, I can run KDE apps).

You may have to configure your package sources. Also, I recommend the gnome version because I found that it was much faster than the KDE version (still, I can run KDE apps).

Thanks Grobouillis!
as I said, I have to fix something that went wrong during add/remove of some packages. Internet went off and I cannot login So, I have to wait until I fix that

Backed up my data and re installed.
No repos were there

urpmq --list-url

reported nothing. I used easyrpmi and added only PLF. Cant get main repos. So I will try with these to see if I can get wxPython and others

You can configure the sources with the mandriva control center. (System->Administration->Configure your computer). Also I know that all cd-roms are not equivalent in this respect. You should intall your mandriva with the Mandriva-One cdrom. Your sources should be automatically configured then. You can download the image online.

After gazillion seconds of search, I found that Aria2 and curl are both buggy. I changed to wget and it is progressing now.
Thanks alot. Now after updating I will try the suggestions above.

I know that you have Mandriva, so what IDE/Editor do you use?

I know that you have Mandriva, so what IDE/Editor do you use?

Well, most of the time I use an unpublished IDE that I wrote. I aso use the editor which comes with gnome (gedit). I also tried geany, which is distributed as a mandriva package.

Also note that kate is a very good editor for kde.

I cannot see matplotlib in repo. Is there a way out?

python-matplotlib is a mandriva package, if you can't see it, it means that your sources are not configured as they should be.

I have got it. Now I have wxPython and Matplotlib
How about Vpython?

I tried to run Vpython on mandriva and I couldn't, but it was some time ago and I have no experience with Vpython. So if you can use it, please post the recipe.

Here is one from vpython docs

from visual import *

floor = box (pos=(0,0,0), length=4, height=0.5, width=4, color=color.blue)
ball = sphere (pos=(0,4,0), radius=1, color=color.red)
ball.velocity = vector(0,-1,0)
dt = 0.01

while 1:
    rate (100)
    ball.pos = ball.pos + ball.velocity*dt
    if ball.y < ball.radius:
        ball.velocity.y = abs(ball.velocity.y)
    else:
        ball.velocity.y = ball.velocity.y - 9.8*dt

Here is one from vpython docs

from visual import *

floor = box (pos=(0,0,0), length=4, height=0.5, width=4, color=color.blue)
ball = sphere (pos=(0,4,0), radius=1, color=color.red)
ball.velocity = vector(0,-1,0)
dt = 0.01

while 1:
    rate (100)
    ball.pos = ball.pos + ball.velocity*dt
    if ball.y < ball.radius:
        ball.velocity.y = abs(ball.velocity.y)
    else:
        ball.velocity.y = ball.velocity.y - 9.8*dt

I have stumbled on how to add Vpython. Is there anyone here who have installed it successful? I get gtkglextmm 1.2 not found even when I have installed it...sad

Also some Demo from wxPython doesn't work. Mandriva repo have 2.8.9 while the latest is 2.8.10 How do I upgrade?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.