This is not seek for IDE thread but rather want just to know your beloved IDE.

For Me, up to recently I used Eclipse but now I'm trying IntelliJ Idea community. Not very used to it but looks promising. What about you friend?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Eclipse all the way given that it's:
- Free
- Choke full of plugins for almost every conceivable thing out there
- Great community

Switched from JBuilder to Eclipse a few years ago and never looked back.

It appears that up until now I am the only one that voted NET Beans. Also at work we use eclipse, but I prefer Net Beans at home.

Also the IDE that I hate the most is JDeveloper.

commented: JDeveloper is crap indeed +12

I have never used IntelliJ. My personal fav is Eclipse by far. JCreator is another good IDE for small projects but when things start getting serious where you require all the services offered by a host of varied plugins nothing comes close to Eclipse.
I have used NetBeans and the slowness that it brings to the machine really s**ks big time. It actually should be only allowed to run on super computers as it slows down machines with even 3 Gigs of Ram.

I'm IntelliJ since I learn how to read and write (just joking)

I started with JCreator which is very simple and handy tool to avoid general confusion of all the functionality provided by big names. I moved on to NetBeans, but mobile development with is painful so now I use it very sparely. Unfortunately me & Eclipse relation never worked out. Never fear Eclipse is not the only one free and with plenty of plugins for this or that, IntelliJ is toooo...

So IntelliJ FTW!

Switched from JBuilder to Eclipse a few years ago and never looked back.

Can you share what caused the turn-over? ;)

I'm IntelliJ since I learn how to read and write (just joking)

I started with JCreator which is very simple and handy tool to avoid general confusion of all the functionality provided by big names. I moved on to NetBeans, but mobile development with is painful so now I use it very sparely. Unfortunately me & Eclipse relation never worked out. Never fear Eclipse is not the only one free and with plenty of plugins for this or that, IntelliJ is toooo...

So IntelliJ FTW!

Actually someone called Peter Budo was source of me trying IntelliJ Idea. I heard he is such a fanatic of it and was excited to see how it looks like ;)

I still believe Eclipse is superior to all IDEs I know, (including Netbeans?) but not sure how it compares to IJ. So I'm trying IJ to see what is under the hood!

I've used BlueJ for a year or two, but I've also used Netbeans, and Eclipse. I voted Eclipse, because I find it easier to use and faster than Netbeans, but when I want to do something that involves JOGL, I go back to Netbeans because Eclipse doesn't have samples, or a plugin for it. I sometimes switch back to BlueJ for simple test programs, or to work on something that I started a long time ago.

Actually someone called Peter Budo was source of me trying IntelliJ Idea

Yes he pitches a lot for IntelliJ ;) One of my co-workers who actually used to sit beside me (stephen84s) told me once that budo is a great fan of the IDE and recommends it more than often.

As I said I have never used IntelliJ so I cannot comment on it, part of the reason for it not being used would owe itself to the fact that it wasn't free (until recently, atleast thats what I guess) now that it is and so many people gunning for it I have made up my mind to try it.

Yes, till October 2009 IntelliJ been only commercial product. I was lucky to to persuade one of my teachers to request academic licence while at university that I had for 2 years. Than I was what you call lucky bugger and won 1year licence on JAVAWUG ;)
In reality there is very little difference between commercial and free version...

Was probably one of the first users of Netbeans (version 1.1 I think was the first I tried).
Also used Eclipse (from 2.1), JBuilder (from 2.0), JDeveloper, JCreator, IntelliJ, and a host of others.

IntelliJ beats them all.

commented: Hell yeah! ;-) +13
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.