Hello,

I am taking a VB.net class and am having trouble seeing the difference between event driven and object oriented programming. This will not help on any assignments, I have already turned it in, but I do not understand why VB6 is considered event driven and .NET is object oriented.

Here's where I am having problems with this. If you click a button in either version it triggers an event called button_click. In each the objects, or controls, all have properties, classes, etc.

I have been told that .NET reduces redundant code, I guess that could be true, but in VB6 I would make a module to send the data to to remove the redundant code.

Could anyone help me understand where the differences really are, or maybe give me an example. I just want to stop driving myself insane thinking that I just cannot get this.

Thanks,
Mike

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

I am taking a VB.net class and am having trouble seeing the difference between event driven and object oriented programming. This will not help on any assignments, I have already turned it in, but I do not understand why VB6 is considered event driven and .NET is object oriented.

Here's where I am having problems with this. If you click a button in either version it triggers an event called button_click. In each the objects, or controls, all have properties, classes, etc.

I have been told that .NET reduces redundant code, I guess that could be true, but in VB6 I would make a module to send the data to to remove the redundant code.

Could anyone help me understand where the differences really are, or maybe give me an example. I just want to stop driving myself insane thinking that I just cannot get this.

Thanks,
Mike

Refer this link

http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/FAQ-VBNET-VB6-VBNET-Differences

I guess I will never know, thanks for the links. They all say the same thing "VB.NET is true object oriented" and that's it. Nothing explaining why, or how it differs from earlier versions.

thanks

In reality VB6 is much more object-oriented than people give it credit for -- complex object models and most OO design patterns can be implemented quite easily in VB6 given the support for user-defined classes, interfaces and late binding. If you knew OO, and you had VB6 at your disposal, you programmed some parts of your code in an OO way.

That said, off the top of my head, the OO features that .NET has which VB6 lacks are:

-- implementation inheritence
-- richer support for interfaces and interface inheritance
-- a base Object class that all other types derive from -- even prrimitive types (aka everythings an object)
-- delegates (object-oriented function pointers) for callbacks needed for many OO design patterns
-- a much stronger and deliberate use of OO design patterns in the event model, the platform framework, and development tools (NUnit)
-- better IDE support for objects (eg. object test bench in VS2008)
-- object-oriented serialization/deserialization

commented: Thank you +4

Thank you.

That actually helped.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.