Hi there,

I'm making a settings dialog for my application but I'm having a problem figuring out how to implement it. I'm trying to make a settings dialog that has a treeview on the left-hand side, clicking on the nodes of the treeview would switch the dialog background based on which node was clicked. An ecample of a popular application that implements this kind of settings dialog is uTorrent.

My question is, how do I implement this? My best guess is that I would have to determine which node was clicked and repaint the dialog background to show the controls/windows associated with that node. If this is the case, do i have to create the controls for every possible node on the tree view and show/hide and then repaint every time a tree view node is clicked?

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to successfully implement a treeview control and populate it with nodes, I can determine which node was clicked using the WM_NOTIFY TVM_SELCHANGD message. However, I am not sure where to go from there. It seems that I would want to make specific buttons disappear or reappear based on which treeview node is clicked, right? I guess my question is more along the lines of the overall strategy I need to implement this behavior. Should I ....

Create all the buttons/comboboxes/edit controls that my settings dialog is going to use for every possble treeview node when WM_INITDIALOG is called. Then make them visibile/invisible based on the treeview node that is selected and then repaint.

Create the buttons/comboboxes/edit controls that my settings dialog is going to use in realtime, as the user selects the node of the treeview.

In other words, my settings dialog must change everytime a new treeview node is clicked (user clicks on the treeview node labled "general", the settings dialog must display the buttons/comboboxes that have my applications general settings, then if user clicks on the treeview node labled "TCP/IP", the settings dialog must remove the "general" settings display and display the buttons/comboboxes that have my applications TCP/IP settings,). What is the best way to do this?

Edited 6 Years Ago by supernater: n/a

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.