I am new to working with Django, and have found it really fun and interesting to develop with. But I have been trying to upload it to a hosted server and just not getting it to work. I have followed the instructions they give, but just not getting it to work. There seem to be different instructions, and I am just not clued up enough to understand what applies me.

I have contacted the admins and have spent some time with the online help technicians, but they don't always know exactly what to do. The site is hosted with hostgator, through an company in Africa. I seem to have a delay in getting answer (probably because the technical guys are sitting on the exact opposite side of the world from me.)

Let me run you through what I have done (if I can now remember it all...I may well have messed everything up while trying):

1. Requested MySQLdb and Flup to be installed on the server for my site. Ran Python through SSH and tried import ... for both, and they both return without error.
2. Followed the instructions on this page:
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/getting-started/general-help/django-with-fastcgi
starting with the mkdir ~/django I follow along with the instructions: svn for the django trunk, make a directory for project, edit the bash_profile file in my /home/username directory.

Then I get to the start project part and start having trouble. They say that I have to go into the /project/ file and upload the Django tar.gz file to there. I have tried it either doing that or not (I can't understand why I would need to do that). If I don't do it, in the Python shell I get an error when trying to import django. If I do upload it, when I run install, I get an error.

Even if I try to ignore the error and carry on, from there I just start getting errors with everything I do.

You should really give more informations ....
Have you installed Django on the host .... ?
They might not want you to do it for all the users and you'd probabaly need ot install django for your user only ....

Otherwise try to post you question (with more informations on Django users list.

\T,

I am new to working with Django, and have found it really fun and interesting to develop with. But I have been trying to upload it to a hosted server and just not getting it to work. I have followed the instructions they give, but just not getting it to work. There seem to be different instructions, and I am just not clued up enough to understand what applies me.

I have contacted the admins and have spent some time with the online help technicians, but they don't always know exactly what to do. The site is hosted with hostgator, through an company in Africa. I seem to have a delay in getting answer (probably because the technical guys are sitting on the exact opposite side of the world from me.)

Let me run you through what I have done (if I can now remember it all...I may well have messed everything up while trying):

1. Requested MySQLdb and Flup to be installed on the server for my site. Ran Python through SSH and tried import ... for both, and they both return without error.
2. Followed the instructions on this page:
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/getting-started/general-help/django-with-fastcgi
starting with the mkdir ~/django I follow along with the instructions: svn for the django trunk, make a directory for project, edit the bash_profile file in my /home/username directory.

Then I get to the start project part and start having trouble. They say that I have to go into the /project/ file and upload the Django tar.gz file to there. I have tried it either doing that or not (I can't understand why I would need to do that). If I don't do it, in the Python shell I get an error when trying to import django. If I do upload it, when I run install, I get an error.

Even if I try to ignore the error and carry on, from there I just start getting errors with everything I do.

Thanks tsmets,

I posted many questions since then all over the place and have already revived all the help I needed. I have also read a great deal of Django's documentation, and have developed a number of websites using Django.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.