All,

I am trying to install CAS on an Ubuntu Server and the only problem seems to be installing Apache Modules. I am setting this up to be (almost) exactly like a Solaris server we have currently up and running, but I can't seem to figure out how to install the Apache modules. The mod_auth_cas 'make install' command produces this:

make: /usr/bin/apxs2: Command not found
if test ! -d ; then mkdir -p ; fi
/usr/local/apache2.2/bin/apxs -i -S LIBEXECDIR= src/mod_auth_cas.la
/usr/local/apache2/build/instdso.sh SH_LIBTOOL='/usr/local/apache2/build/libtool' src/mod_auth_cas.la
wrong number of arguments to instdso.sh
Usage: instdso.sh SH_LIBTOOL-value dso-name path-to-modules
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
make: *** [install] Error 1

and I'm wondering why it can't find the path-to-modules if it knows that apache is in /usr/local/apache2.2 (configured with configure.sh).

I'm also wondering if I can just copy the .so files from current server to the new one without screwing things up.

This is the first Apache server I've tried setting up, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try using:

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-cas

then use the command below to enable the module

a2enmod auth_cas

restart the apache server

/etc/init.d/apache2

and you should be golden

commented: Thanks for the tip! +1

Thanks

That (says that it) worked, but it didn't put the .so file in my apache modules dir - my apache is in /usr/local. Any ideas?

OH!

I found the .so files and they were put in /usr/lib/apache2/modules... could I just symlink to them or is there a way to relocate them/reinstall them in the proper dir?

Thanks

Yes you can symlink them.

Although I'm not sure why you have installed the server in /usr/local/

For next time, I'd recommend using the standard installation paths for your software.

Here's a breakdown of the files/folders used in Apache 2.2 Web Server that I found really helpful:

The new version of Apache 2.2 means that there is a different file structure for its configuration files.

[B]apache2.conf:[/B] the main Apache2 configuration file. Contains settings that are global to Apache2.

[B]conf.d:[/B] contains configuration files which apply globally to Apache2. Other packages that use 
        Apache2 to serve content may add files, or symlinks, to this directory.
[B]
envvars:[/B] file where Apache2 environment variables are set.

[B]httpd.conf:[/B] historically the main Apache2 configuration file, named after the httpd daemon. 
            The file can be used for user specific configuration options that globally effect Apache2.

[B]mods-available:[/B] this directory contains configuration files to both load modules and configure them. 
                Not all modules will have specific configuration files, however.

[B]mods-enabled:[/B] holds symlinks to the files in /etc/apache2/mods-available. 
              When a module configuration file is symlinked it will be enabled the next time 
              apache2 is restarted.

[B]ports.conf:[/B] houses the directives that determine which TCP ports Apache2 is listening on.

[B]sites-available:[/B] this directory has configuration files for Apache2 Virtual Hosts. 
                 Virtual Hosts allow Apache2 to be configured for multiple sites that have 
                 separate configurations.

[B]sites-enabled:[/B] like mods-enabled, sites-enabled contains symlinks to the 
               /etc/apache2/sites-available directory.
               Similarly when a configuration file in sites-available is symlinked, 
               the site configured by it will be active once Apache2 is restarted.

See here for more help on apache2 config: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/httpd.html

The reason I have it in /usr/local is because I'm mirroring another setup and I'm to have it look just like the old setup. I'm not sure why they didn't have it in the standard config to begin with, but I don't plan on arguing it.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.