hi, i found this site by accident and am giving it a go for some help needed. I am new to linux and am using Debian Lenny at the moment. I am finding that a lot of my tasks can be made a lot simpler and quicker if i just create a simple script. The problem is i need to know how to write a script. I have a simple idea of a task that i would like to automate with a script:
1. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdisk
2. rsync -av /mnt/usbdisk/content*.mpg /mpgfiles --progress
3. Wait for the rsync to finish - perhaps show a progress bar
4. When finished chown admin.joe all /mpgfiles/content*.mpg
5. Then chmod 755 all /mpgfiles/content*.mpg
6. rsync -av /mpgfiles/content*.mpg to a remote storage server --progress
7. Display a counter while rsync is in progress
8. after rsync finishes,umount /mnt/usbdisk
I found a tutorial on this website which I will go through, and I am willing to put in as much effort as is required to learn if someone is willing to teach me and start me off in this simple script. I think it to be in has to be in bash.
Many many thanks in advance.