I have a dataGridView with 4 columns. 3 of the columns i want to use a combobox. In the datagridview properties from the design view i already set the columns to DataGridViewComboBoxColumns. how do i from the code set the columns values from a dataset?

I can get the data i need in two datasets just don't know how to tie the data from my dataset to the related columns.

Here is what i have so far. I keep getting a error when the grid loads: "DatqaGridView Default Error Dialog. The following exception occurred in the DataGridView: System.ArgumentException:DataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.

private void StoreHardwareListForm_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
			hardwareBindingSource.DataSource = hardware.Tables[ 0 ];
			dataGridView1.DataSource = hardwareBindingSource;

DataSet hardwareTypes = DAL.FetchData(SQLCoreSelect.HardwareTypes());
			hardwareDescription.DataSource = hardwareTypes;
			hardwareDescription.DisplayMember = "hardwareDescription";
			hardwareDescription.ValueMember = "hardwareTypeID";

hardwareGroup.DataSource = hardwareTypes;
			hardwareGroup.DisplayMember = "hardwareGroup";
			dataGridView1.ClearSelection();
		}

Edited by Sailor_Jerry: add error msg i get

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Sailor_Jerry
Featured Replies
    __avd 1,826   6 Years Ago

[b]>System.ArgumentExceptionataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.[/b] Please take a look at this sample, [code] DataTable dt1 = new DataTable(); dt1.Columns.Add("Code", typeof(int)); dt1.Columns.Add("Product"); dt1.Rows.Add(0, "None"); dt1.Rows.Add(1, "Foo"); dt1.Rows.Add(2, "Bar"); DataTable dt2 = new DataTable(); dt2.Columns.Add("Code", typeof(int)); dt2.Columns.Add("Qty", typeof(int)); DataGridViewComboBoxColumn col1 = new DataGridViewComboBoxColumn(); DataGridViewTextBoxColumn col2 = new DataGridViewTextBoxColumn(); col1.DataSource = dt1; col1.DisplayMember … Read More

First set the data source for the combobox column as you would for just a regular combo box. Then set the DataPropertyName property for the combobox column to the name of the column you want to bind to in your data set.

Thanks for the reply. I tried setting this up like a regular combo, and the data still does not display and i get the same datagridview error. This is what i changed

hardwareDescription.DataSource = hardwareTypes.Tables[0];

This is working a bit better now that i changed the order. I set up the combo boxes first, then set the datagridview

I'm still getting this "DataGridView Default Error Dialog. The following exception occurred in the DataGridView: System.ArgumentExceptionataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.
I have removed the datagridview from my form and started from scratch. When i re-add, i was able to pinpoint that the error happens if i set the Valuemember on the combobox. I do this on all my other comboboxes outside a datagridview, so I'm not sure why this causes the exception to be thrown

>System.ArgumentExceptionataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.

Please take a look at this sample,

DataTable dt1 = new DataTable();
            dt1.Columns.Add("Code", typeof(int));
            dt1.Columns.Add("Product");

dt1.Rows.Add(0, "None");
            dt1.Rows.Add(1, "Foo");
            dt1.Rows.Add(2, "Bar");

DataTable dt2 = new DataTable();
            dt2.Columns.Add("Code", typeof(int));
            dt2.Columns.Add("Qty", typeof(int));

DataGridViewComboBoxColumn col1 = new DataGridViewComboBoxColumn();
            DataGridViewTextBoxColumn  col2 = new DataGridViewTextBoxColumn();

col1.DataSource = dt1;
            col1.DisplayMember = "Product";
            col1.ValueMember = "Code";

col1.DataPropertyName = "Code";
            col2.DataPropertyName = "Qty";

//  dt2.Rows.Add(5, 100);   //  This statement causes an error
                                        //  because value 5 is not present in combobox.

dataGridView1.Columns.Add(col1);
            dataGridView1.Columns.Add(col2);

dataGridView1.DataSource = dt2;

Thanks you for the reply. i changed my code but I still get exception. If i comment out the value member i do not get the exception.

hardwareDescription.DataSource = hardwareTypes.Tables[ 0 ];
			hardwareBindingSource.DataSource = hardware.Tables[ 0 ];

hardwareDescription.DataPropertyName = "hardwareTypeID";

hardwareGroup.DisplayMember = "hardwareGroup";
			hardwareGroup.ValueMember = "hardwareTypeID";
			hardwareGroup.DataPropertyName = "hardwareTypeID";

I'm stuck here. Two things I need help on.
1. I need to understand why I keep getting this error: The following exception occurred in the DataGridView: System.FormatException: DataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid."
In my code if i comment out line 20 where i set the valueMember i do not get the error. But i need to know what the related hardware id is, because i want to use this to determine the type of group from my hardwareType table.
Basically if the user changes the hardwareDescription from the datagridview via the combobox, i call a function that will update the hardwareGroup cell for that row based on the hardwareTypeID

2. I can not get the columns to display in the order i have them in the designer?

In the designer i have the columns in this order: hardwareTypeID, hardwareDescription, hardwareGroup, serialNumber, hardwareStatus.

hardwareTypeId Visaible is set to false
hardwareDescription, and hardwareStatus ColumnType is set to DataGridViewComboBoxColumn
hardwareGroup is a readonly column
This is what my sql query looks like:

select sh.hardwareStatus, h.serialNumber, ht.hardwareTypeID, ht.hardwareDescription, ht.hardwareGroup from storehardware sh join store s ON s.storeID = sh.storeID join  hardware h ON sh.hardwareID = h.hardwareID join hardwaretype ht ON ht.hardwareTypeID = h.hardwareTypeID WHERE s.storeID=@storeID

When i run the code, i keep getting "The following exception occurred in the DataGridView: System.FormatException: DataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid."

When the datagridview displays the columns are in this order: hardwareDescription, hardwareGroup, hardwareStatus, serialNumber

Please let me know what is wrong with my code!! I'm just not getting this.

private BindingSource hardwareBindingSource = new BindingSource();
private DataSet hardware = new DataSet();
private DbDataAdapter adapter;

/// <summary>
		/// Default constructor
		/// </summary>
		/// <param name="rowDetails">A DbDataAdapter that contains select, update, and insert statements</param>
		public StoreHardwareListForm(DbDataAdapter storeHardwareAdapter)
		{
			InitializeComponent();
			adapter = storeHardwareAdapter;			
		}

private void StoreHardwareListForm_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
                        //description combobox
			hardwareDescription.DataSource = hardwareTypes.Tables[ 0 ];

//status combobox
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("active");
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("loaner");
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("replaced");
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("failed");
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("pending");
			hardwareStatus.Items.Add("not active");

adapter.Fill(hardware);
			hardwareBindingSource.DataSource = hardware.Tables[0];
		}

Not going use the ValueMember. I already pass in the id via the hardwareTypeID column

So problem 1 is solved.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.