I was wondering if anyone knew of a good library to use for making gui's in c++. You should know that i know of winprog but the problem is that its c. I don't want c because i haven't learned c. I would like to use something that you code with in c++. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Depends what your trying to do. You might just want to use Visual Basic. But if you want to use C++, you'll need to learn windows API or wxWidgets. wxWidgets is fairly easy to learn as opposed to the windows API which is hard =(

Why are you hesitant to use Visual C++? There you can use either MFC or .NET framework.

WinAPI isn't that hard, it just looks that way at first glance. And you don't have to use any C-specific calls.

I don't know i looked at some win32 examples and i don't like how it looks, haha. wxWidgets doesn't look to bad, im looking at gtk+ right now.

Win32 api's are easy and very flexible.
You can create great looking applications within weeks.

How much c++ do you know? How long have you been studying it?

Your best bet is to learn the Win32 API. I'm the process of doing that right now. It's actually pretty straightforward. I read somewhere that it's best to learn the Win32 API before you delve into the MFC because the MFC is built on top of the Win32 API, so if you don't understand the Win32 API you can't possibly understand how the MFC works or what you can do with it. Just my opinion though.

strmstn i know a decent amount of stuff. Don't really know about pointers or memory. I know a little bit of classes. Its just the Win32 API looks like a mess, but that might just be me.

You can also use the QT, it's easy, you can find more information and download it from here

wxWidgets doesn't look to bad, im looking at gtk+ right now.

I use wxWidgets and it is rich not only in handling GUI issues, but also in other stuffs like Direcories/Files streams sockets et al. There are extensions if you need functionality that isn't in core and can write yours not-so-complex to do. Check zetcode for tutorial

Somebody recommends to use libraries like Qt to be involved into GUI programming easily. But that's not quite good decision while you want to really understand the whole process of how graphic apps on Windows are implemented under the hood.

Once you understand the things in the native Windows API, you will have the unlimited power to do everything you want in your apps. When you know how to use Qt, this knowledge will not help you anywhere else.

So, if you want to start program GUI apps really fast and not bothering how the things are implemented inside, then Qt is your choice, otherwise consider WinAPI - spend some time for learning but it is worth it.

That's my opinion.

I think im gonna do Win32 api, i just need to find c++ tutorials, not ones in c

Hi,if you want to use C++, you'll need to learn windows API or wxWidgets.

I think im gonna do Win32 api, i just need to find c++ tutorials, not ones in c

Win32 api should work the same in C as C++. All you need to do is call the functions properly from your C++ code. The C tutorials should help you just fine.

Ehh, well i looked at ones in c++ and they seemed a little different.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.