Hi people,

I am new to Java but have experience programming in C/C++/C#. I wanted to learn Java SE 6 first before moving to Java EE 6. After making some research online for appropriate Java SE 6 books, I found that these are

appropriate for me to get an excellent idea of Java SE 6:

1) Head First Java, 2nd Edition
2) An Intermediate Level Book <-----------
3) Effective Java (2nd Edition)
4) Java Concurrency in Practice
5) Java Generics and Collections
6) Java Concise Reference Series: Swing And AWT
7) Java Reflection in Action

However, I am having trouble choosing an Intermediate Level Book which will provide me with breadth and depth in Java SE 6. I was thinking about the book "Thinking in Java (4th Edition)"....Unfortunately, its deals

with Java SE 5 and not the latest version. Could anybody please advice me an intermediate level book which could provide me with breadth and depth in Java SE 6.

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I think Java Nut shell book will help you.

commented: Fail spammer. -2

I also have a C/C++ background, I'm an intermediate programmer, and I'm currently using those books for learning Java:

• Head First Java 2nd Edition ( Covers Java 5.0 )
  • Big Java 3rd Edition ( Covers Java 5.0 / 6.0 )
    ( Covers Java from a practical point of view, introductory text to Computer Science. A whole bunch of interesting exercises are included! )
  • Java How To Program 8th Edition (Early Objects) ( Covers Java 5.0 / 6.0 )
    ( Covers Java from a practical point of view, introductory text to Computer Science. A whole bunch of interesting exercises are included! )
  • SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 ( Covers Java 6.0 )
    ( This book is worth reading if you want to get a very thorough understanding of the Java programming language. Sample exams and review questions similar to those on the Sun certification exam are included! )

Worth mentioning is that all these books assume no Java or previous programming experience, except for the Java certification Study Guide, which requires a basic understanding of Java.

Don't forget reading this as well, it might be of interest:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread99132.html
(a whole bunch of Java resources, probably more than I'd ever use)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.