hi, I'm trying to write a program that separate an array into 2 arrays, odd and even numbers. but I don't know how.
can you please help? I'm stuck and don't know how to continue.

This is what i have so far

//this program accepts 10 integers, stores in an array.
//the array will then be separated into 2 arrays of odd and even data values.  

#include <iostream.h>

//prototype
void EvenNumber(int);
void OddNumber(int);

void main(void)
{
    int array[10], count, largest, smallest;
    cout <<  "enter 10 values:\n";
    for (count = 0; count < 10; count++)
    {
        cout << "Enter an integer value:";
        cin >> array[count];
    }

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Once you've got the info in count, you can use the % operator, called 'modulus',
to divide the numbers up.

All you need to do is a simple if statement like this:

if(!count[i]%2) // if divisible by 2, then returns zero, negates to 1, enters if 
  even[i] = count[i];
else
 odd[i] = count[i];

Modulus is a very handy operator. What it does is give the remainder of integer division. So, for modulus of 3, (%3), the following translation occurs:
0%3== 0
1%3== 1
2%3== 2
3%3== 0
4%3== 1

And so on.

hi, thanks so much for the reply
however, when i try to run the program, it said "i is an undeclared indentifier."
what do I do?

#include <iostream.h>

void main(void)
{
    int array[10], count, even, odd;
    cout <<  "enter 10 values:\n";
    for (count = 1; count < 10; count++)
    {
        cout << "Enter an integer value:";
        cin >> array[count];
    }

if(!count[i] % 2) // if divisible by 2, then returns zero, negates to 1, enters if 
     even[i] = count[i];
    else
    odd[i] = count[i];

}

This is homework, I take it? 'i' is the generally-used iterative counter variable. It's an integer you've got to declare, then loop the code I gave you, having 'i' increment to advance through the loop.
It's the same sort of thing as count.

I was just making an example case on how to do the seperation once. You've got to figure out how to code it to be useful...

One more edit:
Looking back at the start, you don't have your arrays declared properly, either.

I'd suggest you first go to your books or google 'C++ tutorial array', because that'll be of more help than I will be.

Well you have newer declared i, before refering to it in

if(!count[i] % 2) // if divisible by 2, then returns zero, negates to 1, enters if 
even[i] = count[i];
else
odd[i] = count[i];

just so you know, you havent declared even or odd as array ether.

yeah, it (and along with 3 more programs) gives me a headache all morning.

can you help please? I can't take much more programming.

zyrus is right. You can't declare your arrays like that. You need to have the array size after each one.

int even[10], odd[10];

Otherwise, your program only allocates memory for one integer, not 10.

Oh: just for an example to head off what I can see coming: array indexing (where you are in the array) goes from 0 to the size of the array -1.

So, even[10] has legitimate locations in even[0] to even[9], but trying to access even[10] will give you an error.

Just another quick detail. Don't use the same index (i) for both even[] and odd[] arrays. That will left some positions filled with "garbage".

small tips:#include <iostream.h> is old style, use <iostream>, and main shuld return int (int main).

Ok, I dont know if you have loearnt about vectors, but if so, they wold be a better choise for this programe than array.

thanks guys,
you guys have been a lot of help.
and no I haven't learnt about vectors yet.
I'm a level-1 C++ learner, I have to write everytime out the long way, since I don't know much what C++ could do. so even the simplest program give me a header.

Thanks again,
Karen

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.