hi guys,
iam just started with VB.NET and i really like to be a programmer please advice.

it will be fine to learn about connecting with database i already had a good experience with VFoxPro(but not the sql connection).
and i like to to make reports inside a web page so i think the ADO.NET will be useful.
waiting for helpfull reply from an angel :)

Many Thanks.

Well,
I would advice you to hide all your books on VB.NET and database. I certainly prefer learning from a textbook will narrow your views on database and VB.NET.Also you'll forget things fast if you learn from a textbook.

The most effective way of learning things is pratically implement an application from scratch.

If you want to learn VB.NET and SQL server ,you do a small application with VB.NET and SQL server 2000.

1.Create a simple Student database and populate the values randomly.Create a three table simple database with Student table,teacher table,Courses table and have a basic primary key,Foriegn key relationship among them.

I got an article on database for beginners.My mail id is letscode@hotmail.com.
Mail me and i'll send you the document.

2.Create an application in VB.NET and then do the connectivity.Populate all the webcontrols like textbox,Dropdownlist,Datagrid,etc from the values from the database.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread28363.html

Check out this thread for a start.

3.Then use complex SQL queries like UPDATE,DELETE,ETC

4.Then start using Stored Procedure and use paramters in your application to increase the complexity(which will help you learn the language)

DO A LOT OF RESEARCH ON GOOGLE AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK.IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS POST YOUR CODE IN A FORUM AND GUYS HERE ARE SO EXPERIENCED TO HELP YOU.

Many people wont read forums on topics like I need Help. Write something like VB,SQL Connection tutorials or something like that :D .

PS: ANGEL...MEEeee... I can hear God laughing. :D :D

hi guys,
iam just started with VB.NET and i really like to be a programmer please advice.

it will be fine to learn about connecting with database i already had a good experience with VFoxPro(but not the sql connection).
and i like to to make reports inside a web page so i think the ADO.NET will be useful.
waiting for helpfull reply from an angel :)

Many Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.