What do you think is the best, I've heard that wxwidgets isn't really the best one? Give ideas please, thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I don't do GUIs yet, so I really can't say, but I suspect that will depend on what you want to do with your program. You may want to share that information.

I'm a huge fan of Qt. I build a lot of Qt applications, and I'm really happy with this GUI. Trolltech, the makers of Qt, also provide a full-featured integrated IDE called QtCreator that I actually use for my general purpose c++ coding. Qt is very flexible, has tons of widgets and usefull classes, and it's completely crossplatform. I highly recommend Qt.

For Windows I prefer Visual Studio. I also am a huge fan of Qt, but if you're writing only for Windows platforms, Visual Studio's native support of .NET is invaluable.

Lets not forget wxWidgets as well. Like QT its cross platform, it allows the user to plug in OpenGL or use GDI(on windows), not sure what the GDI equiv on linux is. Qt may also support this i dont know but from what litle i have done with wxWidgets it seems like a good job. Code::Blocks supports wxWidgets, Qt and win32 so i would suggest trying it out as an IDE to compare which GUI toolset you like best. The only thing i can mark VS as better for is that its intellisence is more sophisticated but as again code::blocks is crossplatform i decided to start to use it instead.

To be fully honest i think which GUI toolset you choose to use will depend on which one feels right and makes most sence to you individually.

Lets not forget wxWidgets as well. Like QT its cross platform, it allows the user to plug in OpenGL or use GDI(on windows), not sure what the GDI equiv on linux is. Qt may also support this i dont know but from what litle i have done with wxWidgets it seems like a good job. Code::Blocks supports wxWidgets, Qt and win32 so i would suggest trying it out as an IDE to compare which GUI toolset you like best. The only thing i can mark VS as better for is that its intellisence is more sophisticated but as again code::blocks is crossplatform i decided to start to use it instead.

To be fully honest i think which GUI toolset you choose to use will depend on which one feels right and makes most sence to you individually.

I second wxWidgets.
It is great toolkit, with native widgets in platform and great docs/Support. There are a lot of Apps made of it, some listed on wxwidgets.org. About IDE, there are plenty of them, all supporting some form of GUI builder (some: Codelite+wxFormBuilder, C::B+ wxSmith, wxDevcpp et al)

I would suggest you go for wxWidgets+CodeLite+wxFormBuilder. If you want to support wxWidgets, buy then DialogBlocks, GUI builder and IDE by "father" of wxWidgets, Julian Smart.

I have used both, and now i use QtCreator. Qt is from far better than wxWidgets. If you have only little application use what you want. But for big applications it is easier to use Qt. The event/slot is more power and there are lot of classes for animations...And the MVD=Model View Delegate (nearly same as MVC) is very very nice to use on Qt. It misses that on wxWidgets. Use them and you will see

Qt Creator is a great one

Long live wxWidgets! Its is not the best but it have always does what I needed to do!
You cannot find 100% perfect toolkit out there. Even QT have its downsides

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.