Who make better programmers? Men or Women? :) Just curious coz all around the world, in academics, women surpass men. But in this field, i guess its men :). What you say? I am a male by the way!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are you serious? Narue's is gonna kill you lol. Your question is like comparing oranges to apples. Its really useless.

I think it's a bit of a silly question. It is known that men and women have different and often complementary abilities (or at least inclinations for certain abilities). Since programming requires such a wide array of skills, I think you would probably find as good programmers in both genders, but maybe their particular skills might be camped on different aspects of programming (that could be quite an interesting study to do!). But I think there is hardly any way you can say whether men or women are definitely better. In fact, most psychologist would tell you that women often do better in academics mostly because the academic system (the form of courses and exams) are better suited for the female-psyche (especially for younger children and teenagers). Also, maybe programming is a bit more popular with men because of its nature (women tend to prefer so-called empathic professions like medicine, nursing, psychology, etc. because they prefer to work with people while men prefer to work with "things" like building or fixing stuff).

Final note, you know that this forum is under the reign of our all-mighty goddess of coding: Narue. I would anticipate a strong reply from her on this thread.

Thanks Mike. I did'nt mean to discredit any gender here. I agree with what you pointed that when it comes to choosing profession, most women choose empathic professions. But if they choose this field, definitely they can be more creative than men.

I think it's a bit of a silly question. It is known that men and women have different and often complementary abilities (or at least inclinations for certain abilities). Since programming requires such a wide array of skills, I think you would probably find as good programmers in both genders, but maybe their particular skills might be camped on different aspects of programming (that could be quite an interesting study to do!). But I think there is hardly any way you can say whether men or women are definitely better. In fact, most psychologist would tell you that women often do better in academics mostly because the academic system (the form of courses and exams) are better suited for the female-psyche (especially for younger children and teenagers). Also, maybe programming is a bit more popular with men because of its nature (women tend to prefer so-called empathic professions like medicine, nursing, psychology, etc. because they prefer to work with people while men prefer to work with "things" like building or fixing stuff).

Final note, you know that this forum is under the reign of our all-mighty goddess of coding: Narue. I would anticipate a strong reply from her on this thread.

Who make better programmers? Men or Women? :) Just curious coz all around the world, in academics, women surpass men. But in this field, i guess its men :). What you say? I am a male by the way!

We have at least Narue(female) and Ancient Dragon (Male) and they are both competent and helpful friends here. I'm confident to call them C++ experts. So what's your question?

Gender have nothing to do with their being that way but rather learning and practice and learning and practice and L&P&L&P...to death!

>Who make better programmers? Men or Women?
Based on my experience conducting interviews, I'd say men make better programmers on average. Of course, that's completely anecdotal with no scientific rigor, so it's worthless as an answer to your question. I'm not aware of any studies on the subject; you'll simply need to form your own opinion.

Most of the programmers I know--but by no means all of them--are male. I think that reflects interest much more than it reflects talent or aptitude. For that matter, I've seen some spectacularly bad male programmers as well.

Oh man ! OFFTOPIC here !

Hmm I'm late here to the male female war.
Dudue ! one thing exists !

Oh man you'r male right,Think about a female girl.
She can just marry and have enjoy what her husband (that means poor hardworking males )
is offering to her.So may be good coders are males,but what for?, but the most unlucky
person is the male. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

"IF I can become a girl then I do so, Then I could stay at home and just marry
some hardworking male person and eat without a effort!"

all the males are prisoners in this world.Believe me :( , so sad !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySu9qfYfEW4 :( :( :( :(
only males in this world have to earn money :( :( :( :(

--sorry dudu's--

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.