Dear developers, I decided to code a little music player to get some experience with JAva, but I do not have any idea how to code it in Java. Is there any API or Library to be used for such project or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What part of the project do you want to code?
The part that actually makes the sound is mostly contained in packages and classes.
The GUI to control what is played would be as a Swing application.

I downloaded a sample sound Development Kit years ago, but can't find it right now.
Do a Google to see what is on the Sun site.

What part of the project do you want to code?
The part that actually makes the sound is mostly contained in packages and classes.
The GUI to control what is played would be as a Swing application.

I downloaded a sample sound Development Kit years ago, but can't find it right now.
Do a Google to see what is on the Sun site.

I'll code all the project, actually it is not a huge project just a little experiment to extend my java knowledge.

Sounds like a big project. How do you make a sound? Are you sure you want to write all the code and not use the javax.sound.midi package classes?

The package I downloaded 9 years ago was called the JavaSoundDemo. Lots of example programs for reading, recording, analyzing and playing many types of sound files.

I guess you don't want to write a sound hardware driver or anything too low-level, so have a look at JMF - the Java Media Framework. This gives you an API you can use to play media files within some app that you write for yourself. It's about as straightforward as it can be, but I've had problems with it ignoring or not playing some files.
Altervatively, under windows, Apple's Quicktime for Java APIs give you access to just about every kind of media there is. I've found it to be more reliable then JMF, although it's a bit "odd" in how it handles things like callbacks and threading - you will need to read some of the guides that are on the web.

I guess you don't want to write a sound hardware driver or anything too low-level, so have a look at JMF - the Java Media Framework. This gives you an API you can use to play media files within some app that you write for yourself. It's about as straightforward as it can be, but I've had problems with it ignoring or not playing some files.
Altervatively, under windows, Apple's Quicktime for Java APIs give you access to just about every kind of media there is. I've found it to be more reliable then JMF, although it's a bit "odd" in how it handles things like callbacks and threading - you will need to read some of the guides that are on the web.

But the problem is about QuickTime for Java API that your program can be used just in MacOS and Windows machines not in Linux because of QuickTime Library problem.

In addition as I realized, JMF supports justa little amount of media format. Do you have any advice API or extension library to JMF for extending the number of media formats.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.