Hello all, I dont know if this is the right area but anyway

Heres my situation:

I have a software that updates 2 devices firmware's, the software communicates with the devices via Serial Cable(RS-232) , my problem is: I only have 1 serial(COM) port in my motherboard, and i need to update the devices at the same time.

So i was thinking the easiest way to do this is with a USB to Serial adapter, but, i dont know how to program the software to communicate with the USB port.

This is what is set in the software:

Device = gi://tuner@/dev/ttyS0

I believe ttyS0 refers to the COM1 port, so my question is, what is the "code" to access the USB port, and, is this possible?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You might find something useful here

thanks man i'll read it

Hi
On 2 of my PC's at work (laptops) I'm using USB to serial(RS232) converters to run serial communications on serveral devices.
Installing these USB->Serial converters actually assigns them as com ports (virual com ports)and you communicate with them as if they are actual physical ports. So purhaps this might be the way to go for you.
Cheers
Milton

Hi
On 2 of my PC's at work (laptops) I'm using USB to serial(RS232) converters to run serial communications on serveral devices.
Installing these USB->Serial converters actually assigns them as com ports (virual com ports)and you communicate with them as if they are actual physical ports. So purhaps this might be the way to go for you.
Cheers
Milton

yeah thats what i found out, thanks anyway man

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.