I've been working on this problem for a while.
The first problem I notices was the computer getting slow. Then my USB wireless mouse quit working. I started using a PS/2 mouse. That mouse started to have problems. I am pretty sure that it was a problem in the wiring. It finaly quit working all together and now my PS/2 port does not work at all. I purchased a USB mouse mouse that has a cord. I plugged it in and nothing. I plugged my USB memory stick and nothing. I checked the device manager and it showed he USB ports and drivers to be working properly. I tried to update the drivers and it said that I had the most recent drivers already installed.

Just before my PS/2 mouse totally took a dive, I had installed iTunes. That was when I first noticed problems with the USB ports. They would not pick-up my iPhone when I plugged it in. In a Forum, (don't remember which one), I saw that there were issues with iTunes 10 and Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I went ot the microsoft website, and updated to Service Pack 3.

The USB ports still did not work. I removed iTunes completely from my computer using the 6 step process provided by Apple. The computer got so slow I could hardly do anything. I purchased System Mchanic from Wal-Mart and it made the computer usable again. I still did not have a mouse but I was able to use the ten-key through the Accessability options.

I recently purchased a PCI card that had 4 external USB ports. My wireless mouse works fine when connected to the PCI card USB ports. The original USB ports also work when I start up the computer with a recovery disk. This tells me that it is a Windows software issue and not a hardware poblem.

I downloaded Process Explorer and This is what I found.
CPU = 100% (always)
System = 92 to 99 (And that is 'System' not 'System Idle Proces')
The System IP is 4
When I expanded System is showed "USBPORT.SYS+0.6086 is the thread sucking up the CPU
I have checked it 3 times. Restarting the computer between each check and it always appears as Thread number 368.
Thread Stack:
0 ntkmpla.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x7f
1 hal.dll+0x8dbd
2 usbehci.sys+0x5696
3 USBPORT.SYS+0x12c2b
4 USBPORT.SYS+0x5d53
5 USBPORT.SYS+0x6190
6 ntkmlpa.exe!PsRemoveCreateThreadNotifyRoutine+0x21e
7 ntkmlpa.exe!KeDispatchInterrupt+0x5a2

There are 4 other USBPORT.SYS threads listed under the System Process that are not using any of the CPU. I checked and all 5 are running the same driver. Driver is usbport.sys, version: 5.1.2600.5512

I suspended the thread 368 and all the other processes went nuts for about 20 seconds and then the CPU went down to 5%. I ran a few different programs to see if the problem was gone, and the computer ran great. I was even able to fart around on the internet without having to wait for anything to load. Never saw the little green bars at the bottom. I walked away for the computer for a little bit and when I came back the computer was hybernating and would not come out of hybernation. I am not sure where to go from here. I know this is a lot to read but I figured I would try to give you everything up front.

System info:
Compaq Presario SR2001NX
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Mother board has 4 USB ports on back of computer and connector that is feeding 2 on the front.
PCI card I installed was purchased at Fry's. I don't see a manufacturer on it but the specs: 1394 Firewire Interface: Compliant with IEEE 1394A OHCE Specification Revision 1.1
Data Transfer rate can be 100/200/400Mbps
Power output: 5W (12V,0.5A) per port
Item: SBT-VT6306

Let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Sounds like a virus/malicious software of whatever sort.

That was my first thought but I have run Adaware and Panda 2010 to death. Any time I scan now I come up with no malware, viruses, or spyware. I am not used to both porgrams coming up empty handed. If I suspend 'USBPORT.SYS' in Process Explorer the CPU goes down to 2%. If I don't move the mouse for a couple minutes it will actually drop down to 0%. Aside from the issue at hand, I think this is the cleanest I have ever had this computer.

I just finished updating my BIOS with no change to the problem. I also downloaded and ran "Fix It" form microsoft. According to there Forum it will help trouble shoot USB port problems. The only thing this software did for me was cause my CD-RW drive to quit reading music CD's in Windows Media Player and in 'My Computer'.

I would like to personally thank Microsoft for adding another problem for me to fix. At least the CD drive still works if I fire up iTunes. I think I am going to add Apple to my list of replacement home computers once I finally throw this desktop through the window...

This part I have trouble with:
"
When I expanded System is showed "USBPORT.SYS+0.6086 is the thread sucking up the CPU
I have checked it 3 times. Restarting the computer between each check and it always appears as Thread number 368.
Thread Stack:
0 ntkmpla.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x7f
1 hal.dll+0x8dbd
2 usbehci.sys+0x5696
3 USBPORT.SYS+0x12c2b
4 USBPORT.SYS+0x5d53
5 USBPORT.SYS+0x6190
6 ntkmlpa.exe!PsRemoveCreateThreadNotifyRoutine+0x21e
7 ntkmlpa.exe!KeDispatchInterrupt+0x5a2
"
Is this stack the same for all USBPORT.SYS threads? Note that your ntkmlpa.exe should be [in caps for font clarity] NTKRNLPA.EXE
What hardware did you have connected to that port to invoke hal?
Could you put up a screenshot of PE with Process tree, and DLL View of System 4 in bottom pane shifted to show USBPORT.SYS. Highlight SYStem 4 and show Properties window and stack window of thread 386. Make it something like this:

ProcExp_Scrnshot.doc

This is my first time to try to post a screen shot, so I hope it turns out. I actually caught the System process at 100.00% of the CPU.
Thank you for attaching a screen shot for reference.

The other 4 'USBPORT.SYS' threads only have 3 'USBPORT.SYS' and the 'NTKRNPLA.EXE' stuff.
I am not sure what I plugged in to get Hal to show up, but every time I restart the computer and check the Process Explorer it is in the stack of the CPU hogging thread. I don't think that it has anything attached to it now; because, when ever I suspend 'USBPORT.SYS' thread 368, all of my USB devices attached to the PCI card continue to function normally. I do not have anything attached to the USB ports that came with the computer. (4 on back integrated with Motherboard, and 2 on front panel that are wired to the Motherboard). The only issue that arrises when the thread is suspended is if the computer goes into standby mode. With the thread suspended the computer will not come out of standby mode.

I checked the IRQ today and this is what I found
IRQ designations 11_20_2010.doc

I know the (ICA) addresses need to be unique to the device, but is it alright that the (PCI) addresses are shared by muliple devices?

I am currently trying to create a "memtest86" cd so I can make sure that my RAM is alright. i hve 512 MB installed but in System proporties is shows 468MB. The BIOS shows 512. I am still having issues with my CD-RW drive after running 'Fix It' from microsoft.
Thank you for your help. I will post anything else that I come up with while trouble shooting this issue.

I guess I didn't get the screen shots correct. What do I need to do the get them to appear in the thread?

I guess I didn't get the screen shots correct. What do I need to do the get them to appear in the thread?

save image to your desktop ,use the attach file section below ,and click on manage attachment,navigate to the file on the desktop and upload the image

Here is the screen shot of my IRQ addresses.

This is pretty much what the other 4 USBPORT.SYS have in their stack.

Or to clarify caper's post, they will appear in the thread if you save the image as one... ie a jpg or bmp. But I can cope with doc files, no problem at all.
I can see that 368 is busy... is overall very demanding. The PCI IRQ sharing is not a problem.
For a start, does your BIOS Setup offer any options as regards USB EHCI support, or for BIOS hand-off of EHCI to the OS? Try turning that option ON.
That is to check if USBEHCI.SYS is working ok. And if that does not work, then you could try turning off USB in BIOS setup - that will not affect your VIA PCI usb.
As you say, something is interfering with the onboard USB controller.... if itworks correctly in Safe Mode then it has to be a software driver issue. Lessee... run DDS.
= Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop. http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr
Upon completion, a Dialog Box should open instructing you to save and post the TWO resulting logs (DDS.txt & Attach.txt).
Paste both the DDS.txt and the DDS Attach.txt into your post for assistance.

Sorry for the long delay. I have been busy with family for the holidays.

I checked my BIOS and the only USB related option I can see is for 'USB Legacy Support'. I have tried it in '[Auto Detect], [Enable], and [Disable]'. I get the same result with any one of the three options. I have it back in [Auto Detect]. The USB ports still do not work in 'Safe Mode'. The only time the onboard USB ports worked was when I left my 'System Mechanic' CD in the CD drive and restarted the computer. When the 'Drive Medic Emergency Rescue' started up, my USB connected mouse worked. I did not run the software. It gave me an option to eject the CD and restart the computer. After restarting I did not see a change in the behavior of the copmuter.

Here are the DDS attachments.

Attach.txt

DDS.txt

Since my last post I have run 'memtest86' and after 6 hrs there were no errors.
I also tried to run 'sfc /scannow'. That showed there to be unverified files on the system but this being an OEM installed OS I do not have a disc to complete the repairs. I tried using a friends copy of Windows XP home edition and Windows XP Pro. The system said that it was the incorrect disc.

There is one other problem that has popped up since I started trying to fix this. The screen resolution has changed on me 2 times now. I can change it back, and it stays there unless I have the computer powered down for more than 24 hrs. \

Thank you for your help

ADM8511;ADMtek ADM8511/AN986 USB To Fast Ethernet Converter ..
irstusb.sys
dot4usb.sys
usbaapl.sys
usbaaplrc.dll
You have the above drivers active. I cannot tell which is using your USB port excessively . Try disconnecting your modem from its USB port, also the printer.
Uninstall itunes temporarily and remove or at least Stop its two services - usbaapl.sys & usbaaplrc.dll
You might try using Device Mgr to uninstall and reinstall your USB device [not the PCI USB].
And if all fails, inside BIOS, if you disable your USB the problem will disappear. That's not the fix you are seeking, though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.