I'm trying to quickly learn C# in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, as I need to show some proficiency for my new job. Previously I have worked mostly with Linux (PHP/MySQL).
I not having any trouble with C# itself (variables, loops, etc.), but what I do need is to learn as much as possible about classes in the .NET base runtime library, what they can do, and the scope of some of what can be done with them, for example in the Systems.Collections.Generic, System.Web.UI, System.IO, System.Text areas, etc.
For example I need to work with BinaryReader, Request, Response, Environment, StringBuilder, etc. (which I'm already doing OK with).
I realize that MS has a complete list of these (thousands), but other than a hardcopy book, I can't find anything on the web that gives a rundown of perhaps the 100 or so most commonly used ones and provides context examples. I don't have time to order a book, since I just have 3 more days to try to learn as much as possible.
Can anyone suggest a site that goes through quite a few of the specifics of these classes in a newbie manner?
Also, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if Visual Studio has the capability to create nested pages (directories) on a website, for example mysite/lastyear/apps/frank/documents.aspx, or must the "pages" all be side-by-side and just be called by links or a site map?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Don't know of any "most common classes". I think that would depend on what you do (database, network, forms, asp, wpf, etc.)

You can nest pages, just right click on your project in Solution Explorer and add a directory. Right click on a directory to add a subdirectory.

Thanks, and I marked it as solved, but if anyone else wishes to add something, I'll keep an eye on this thread. I will go through all the lists in the library at the MS site and try to keep an eye out for classes I may need, and take a deeper look at some of them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.