Hello everyone. I am looking for a little assistance in trying to accomplish something that seems pretty impossible..

I am currently writing a program that uses multiple scripts we use to diagnose software we use in our environment. Currently, the only we retrieve our information is going to the local machine, and running the script locally, and retrieving the output results. The script is an batch file.

The goal of the program I am currently creating is to automate the process by specifying which machines need to have the script ran on, generating the script, dispatching it, executing it, and retrieving the output results from the machine the program is ran on...

I am currently at a dead lock right now trying to figure out how to have this done. I have done some research but currently coming up empty handed. I am open to any suggestions or ideas anyone might have as I am currently out of ideas.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The target machines are in an Acive directory environment or in a workgroup?
If they are in an active directory, the you can automate the execution of the scrip via Group Policy for the login script, Creating an active directory group with the machines to execute the script, and setting this group as the Group Policy target group.

You can set that the the script results are written in a file over a predefined shared in the network. The naming of the file can be based on the machinename and executiondate and time.

If the machines are in a workgroup instead, using remote shell can help, but you need to know the remote username and password having enough privileges to execute the script.

Hope this helps

The target machines are in an Acive directory environment or in a workgroup?
If they are in an active directory, the you can automate the execution of the scrip via Group Policy for the login script, Creating an active directory group with the machines to execute the script, and setting this group as the Group Policy target group.

You can set that the the script results are written in a file over a predefined shared in the network. The naming of the file can be based on the machinename and executiondate and time.

If the machines are in a workgroup instead, using remote shell can help, but you need to know the remote username and password having enough privileges to execute the script.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for posting a late reply. The machines would be AD environment. I am needing the tool to be flexible for multiple environments, all using AD. In most cases, the account they will be using should have sufficient permissions to use remote shell, however, I am still trying to figure out how to properly generate the batch file once the program is executed, and have is distributed to the machines that the user would have to specify once the program is executed.

Most AD administrator use the 'logon script' to execute some programs when the user logs into the machine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758918(WS.10).aspx

While this article points to Windows server 2003, is still valid for 2008 or 2000.

Hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.