How do I write a a recursive function that counts the number of sequences that sum up to that number (user input)?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by frogboy77
Featured Replies
  • Also, just for giggle, I calculated that this function : [B]1/2n^2-1/2n+1[/B] gives the number of sequence that sums to a number n. Try it out and see if its correct. I give no guarantees. Read More

What do you mean "the number of sequences"? Please give an example number and explain what you would expect the result to be. Did you give it a try? You'll get much better replies if you ask a specific question about a problem you're having rather than just asking for the whole algorithm.

Like say the number is 6 for example...

Then the number of sequences that sum up to 6 is 11 (including 6 itself). This is shown clearly below:

5+1
4+1+1
3+1+1+1
2+1+1+1+1
1+1+1+1+1+1
2+2+1+1
3+2+1
4+2
2+2+2
3+3

I think he means for example :

5 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1
5 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 2
5 = 1 + 1 + 3
5 = 1 + 4
5 = 5
5 = 4 + 1
5 = 3 + 1 + 1

EDIT: too late.

Edited by firstPerson: n/a

No the number 5 has 11 series that adds up to 5, right?

5 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1
5 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 2
5 = 1 + 1 + 3
5 = 1 + 4
5 = 5
5 = 4 + 1
5 = 3 + 2
5 = 3 + 1 + 1
5 = 2 + 3
5 = 2 + 2 + 1
5 = 2 + 1 + 1 + 1

looking above you can see that there is some sort of recursive relation. You just need to think about it a little more.

Also, just for giggle, I calculated that this function : 1/2n^2-1/2n+1 gives the number of sequence that sums to a number n. Try it out and see if its correct. I give no guarantees.

I give some help please check the example
def Max(li):
nums = li
biggest=0
for num in nums:
if num > biggest:
biggest = num
return biggest

def main():
li = eval(input("please enter a list of numbers: "))
print("The biggest number is: ", Max(li))
main()

Votes + Comments
Help? There is no help in this post. Just spamming a sig link.

I have mostly everything figured out except the loop. I can't seem to get it quite right.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int partition(int n, int max)
{

if(n==0)
return(0);
int ret = 0;
if(n<=max)
ret=1;
for()
{

}
return(ret);
}

int main()
{

cout << "Enter a number: " << endl;
cin >> n >> endl;
return 0;
}
Votes + Comments
After 36 posts you still can't figure out how to format code properly?

I don't know how to do the loop. I'm not positive how to make it sum up the sequences without repeating. That is what I'm asking for help with

So I changed some things around and I can run the program successfully but after the user inputs the number nothing happens. I'm really confused about what is happening or not happening.

> I calculated that this function gives the number of sequence that sums to a number n

I seriously doubt that.

Yea your right, I calculated the mapping of each n wrong. Tried to do it with the correct value and didn't come with a definite answer, although I got an approximation. Anyways. Thanks for the correction.

This is actually a very difficult problem. As far as i am aware it was solved by the prolific mathematician Leonard Euler. It relates to pentagonal numbers(don't know why). I have the code for your problem if you want it, but i will not post it now in case you want to get this thing by yourself. I will pm it if you ask.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.