so, i'm very new here, and very new to vb.net. i mean, i absolutely suck at it!

anyway, i'm trying to create a 'digital diary' application. i need to be able to click a 'save' button to save the data (in this case the diary entry) into a database, and also to later load back the data. i have no idea how to do this. :|

is this possible to do? if so, i could really use the help.

thanks in advance! :$

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Warm welcome whatsername97.

>is this possible to do? if so, i could really use the help.

Of course, yes. If you're stuck post what you have and tell where you're stumped so people can direct you towards a solution.

Please Read forum rulesrules and homework policy here at Daniweb.

okay thanks. i'd sure need some help with my project though. :/

Im guessing the diary entry is written into a textbox?

Few things:
1. Whats the name assigned to the textbox storing the text?
2. Database file location? eg. c:\User\Database.mdb
3. Table name which you wish to store the information in?
4. Does the table just have one column storing the entries? Or are there multiple fields which are in the table. If there is more than one field (column) please list them in the order they appear in database from left-to-right :)

Does this database only need to store one entry? or would it need to be able to store a backlog of entries (needs extra code if storing a backlog)

If i can get that information off you im sure i can write an OLEDB connection to the database to store the information.

@MikeyIsMe: Thanks for replying! I'd be glad to give you the info. :)

1. Whats the name assigned to the textbox storing the text?
- box

2. Database file location? eg. c:\User\Database.mdb
- C:\Users\User\Desktop\Database2.accdb

3. Table name which you wish to store the information in?
- Table1

4. Does the table just have one column storing the entries? Or are there multiple fields which are in the table. If there is more than one field (column) please list them in the order they appear in database from left-to-right

- Multiple fields: ID, Date (DD/MM/YYYY), Time, Mood, Weather, Content

And it needs to store a backlog of entries, yes.

Thank you so much for your help! It's really appreciated!

Ok writing this code without an IDE is proving harder than i originally thought :D If someone else wants to contribute an OLEDB connection then feel free.

whatshername97, i suggest you look at the website which i learnt how to communicate with databases from. It takes you step by step through the process of writing the connection.

I will write one for you but i am off college for christmas now and my macbook pro doesn't have an IDE on it until i bookcamp to windows 7 after christmas :p

The website is as follows:
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/net/nets12p4.html

If you follow this tutorial through it should help you. If you get stuck with bits then i can always try sort it for you, but im stuck myself without an IDE as writing code in this text box is not as clear :(

Apologies, but i will assist where possible still :)

commented: Helpful! +11

Thanks for replying, I'll try to see what I can do with the tutorials on the link you posted. :)

No problem, as i said, if you get stuck put up whats giving you trouble and i'll see if I can solve it :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.