Hi guys....I am planning to learn JAVA.....i don't know anything about it...just into C/C++.....don't know what compiler i should use....

suggest me some sites where i can download the compiler(Good One Please) for JAVA

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Indeed. Get the JDK (latest version is 5.0_04 (compiler version 1.5.0_04) from http://java.sun.com and use your favourite programmer's editor to create the code.
Don't touch those fancy IDEs until you understand what they're doing and can do the same by hand (albeit MAYBE slower).

VI, jEdit, Emacs, even Notepad.

1.5 (5.0) is the latest version and likely the one you should get (unless you have a clear business need to use only an older version).

Downloaded the latest version...tried this simple program in the IDE mentioned by freesoft...i am total newbie in java..doesn't even know the complete meaning of this code...just trying to understand in terms of c++...

import java.util.*;
public class hellodate
{
public static void main(string[] args)
{
system.out.println("hello it's");
system.out.println(new date());
}
}

But it gave errors..something like this
cannot find symbol
symbol:class string
cannot find symbol
symbol:class date
i guess some classes are missing...maybe i am missing some setting in the compiler options...i made these settings....

compiler: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\bin\javac.exe
Runtime Library: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\rt.jar
Applet Viewer: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\bin\appletviewer.exe
Didn't know what to add in these two
Class path:
Options:

Java is case sensitive, keep that in mind.

Standard convention is to use CamelCase for everything except constants.
ClassNames start with a capital letter, and have every First Character of Every Word capitalised.
method and attribute names start with a lowercase letter.
CONSTANTS are in all uppercase.

This isn't enforced by the compiler but is generally accepted. The number of people who don't do it is very small and they're disliked by everyone else.

Classpath should contain the current directory (".") as the very least. You can add downloaded libraries you use a lot, though adding those dynamically when compiling and running is often preferred.

commented: Thanx +1

Thanx...problem was in case...1 more question...
I came across this ebook....thinking in Java 2nd Edition by bruce eckel...is it fine for beginners or is it advanced...if it is advanced...plz give me some links of good java tutorial...or some other ebook

It's definitely a beginner's book. Many people like it, I don't :)
Sun has excellent tutorials on their own site (if sometimes a bit dated) which are in fact the complete text and illustrations of some of their printed books which are classics.

I recommend you get either "Head First Java" (Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, O'Reilly, 2005) or "Agile Java" (Jeff Langr, Prentice Hall, 2005).
Both excellent books to learn from.

Thanx a lot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.