I actually do not program in Java, I'm more of a C# and C++ person myself. But i do have a question regarding executable jar files. I have an executable .jar file that I would like to run, however can not. A console keeps flashing on the screen and dissapearing, which i managed to take a screen-shot of that you can see here: http://oi51.tinypic.com/2rdfd7a.jpg
This same error happens when I open other jar files as well. Is this an error with java, the programming, or my computer (Win7 x64 HP Desktop AMD processor)? Help is appreciated, Thanks :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by masijade

Looks like your file associations are incorrect. jar should be associated with "java -jar <file>"

The file extension .jar is associated with Java(TM) Platform SE Binary. If this is not what you mean. could you please specify? Thanks.

Yes, it is suppossed to be java but with the -jar option. Take a closer look at that association. What is the complete command? If it is not the one provided above, then change it to that.

Yes, it is suppossed to be java but with the -jar option. Take a closer look at that association. What is the complete command? If it is not the one provided above, then change it to that.

I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie, but what exactly do you mean by changing the file associations? I assumed you were speaking of doing it through the windows console with assoc.jar=java-jar, but I have a feeling I'm missing something. Where would i set the association within Windows 7? Or is it within the java control panel? If not explaining it, then could you post a link to a website explaining more of what you're mentioning? Thank you once again for your time.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.