I have to write log entries through my app (ASP.NET -VB-)

In my understanding that's what I do: created a DLL Message library, then I've created certain registry entries, and insert the log entry using System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry method on my app, then, it insert the entry but seems to be wrong somehow, the event shows:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( -sourcecreated- ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: <<HERE THE MESSAGE I WANT TO LOG>>"

So, what I need is, a Step by Step procedure to do this (baby steps if possible) to accomplish this successfuly.

Thank you

Omar

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well just searching on this site gave me some responses to this question, a google search on

vb.net how to write to the event log

brought up a ton of things. And last but not least have you used the help feature in Visual Studio? I looked for

"write to event log"

and got some interesting material. In other words, did you make any attempt to figure it out and you don't understand something or do you just want us to do it for you?

(I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually trying to help.)

*hint, within the items I have stated there is a block of code that would be extremely useful to you. :)

Well,

I did that, the problem was that I have a development machine that runs on XP SP2, and my production server runs on 2K3, works ok on windows server 2K3, but on my XP have that problem... I decided I can live with that...

Thanks to all for your help!!

Culebrin

You didn't mark it as solved, are you still stuck?

Did you find this site?

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=2298

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.