Write a whole game from machine code/assembly?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Sure!!! Why couldn't you? If you have the time and patients, then you can write anything in Assembler. I had this in my collection: the old Boulder Dash game... credit to the original author, source included..

Sure!!! Why couldn't you? If you have the time and patients, then you can write anything in Assembler. I had this in my collection: the old Boulder Dash game... credit to the original author, source included..

The game is very cool. :)

But I highly doubt the creator made it from machine code. It's very rare, almost impossible, to find some one who designs games from machine code and nothing more.

I wish to do it. I want to know if it's possible to create a 3D game from machine code, like commercial-quality. I want to know the whole process behind how it would be done.

Very ambitious. Have you designed games in other languages before? The reason I ask is that you should probably get a more general overview of Game programming prior to tackling doing it in asm. What I've found is that most game developers will storyboard their game, get some artwork going, then when they know what the game is supposed to do, then concentrate on the coding. Then, then build the framework of their game in some higher level language and use asm in spots where speed is critical.

That being said, I would like to point you to an awesome web site that has bajillions of tutorials.

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/assembly.shtml

It's Pete's QBasic web site, but don't let the name fool you. The link above is for the Assembly tutorial section. There is also a Game Design section and tons of sample code. In some of the sections there is sample code that will clue you in on graphics handling, keyboard handling, mouse handling, joystick handling, vector math for rotations/translations, camera angle and zoom control, ray tracing, bitmap manipulation, VGA and SVGA video memory control, just a wealth of good information.

I hope you find it as useful as I did.

Very ambitious. Have you designed games in other languages before? The reason I ask is that you should probably get a more general overview of Game programming prior to tackling doing it in asm. What I've found is that most game developers will storyboard their game, get some artwork going, then when they know what the game is supposed to do, then concentrate on the coding. Then, then build the framework of their game in some higher level language and use asm in spots where speed is critical.

That being said, I would like to point you to an awesome web site that has bajillions of tutorials.

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/assembly.shtml

It's Pete's QBasic web site, but don't let the name fool you. The link above is for the Assembly tutorial section. There is also a Game Design section and tons of sample code. In some of the sections there is sample code that will clue you in on graphics handling, keyboard handling, mouse handling, joystick handling, vector math for rotations/translations, camera angle and zoom control, ray tracing, bitmap manipulation, VGA and SVGA video memory control, just a wealth of good information.

I hope you find it as useful as I did.

It's not useful because you pointed me towards Assembly and I want to do it from machine language its self.

Write a whole game from machine code/assembly?

It's not useful because you pointed me towards Assembly and I want to do it from machine language its self.

Make up your dam mind! In your first post you asked about machine code or assembly. And once you get answer you reject it as unsuitable. People are getting fed up with your childish behaviour

Really? This is a fake topic right? Pulling everyones leg right? Assembly is 1 step above machine code.. you use mnemonics for an opcode and that gets assembled to machine code... or you misunderstand what machine code is... Basically get a hex editor, study, study, and study some more the PE format... Get the manuals from Intel and AMD (I got the paperbacks free from both companies when they printed them back in '94) now write EVERYTHING in Hex, opcodes and intructions... or write em in binary...

Make up your dam mind! In your first post you asked about machine code or assembly. And once you get answer you reject it as unsuitable. People are getting fed up with your childish behaviour

I'm 15. AND I'M NOT BEING CHILDISH!!!

I'm 15. AND I'M NOT BEING CHILDISH!!!

Then take care what you posting and do not criticize suggestions that been given on your lousy descriptions

Start with something SIMPLE as in a calculator in Assembly and progress from there... learn all the basics then some more basics and THEN maybe you can write a small game in Assembly....

start with something simple as in a calculator in assembly and progress from there... Learn all the basics then some more basics and then maybe you can write a small game in assembly....

no i want to do it in machine language alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, done with thread now....

Sorry, done with thread now....

You clearly failed to help then. :(

commented: Some are beyond help. -3

Of course it's possible.. and easy.
But I think you're confused between what "MACHINE" code and assembly language is.
Assembly language is the closest you'll be getting to programming binary these days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.