Member Avatar

I have a little problem with strcmp here,the following code basically opens a file and writes to it until I enter "\esc",at which point the program should stop....but the problem is,it does not,and I can't figure out what might be the prob.Thanks for your time(I am using turbo c++ 3.0 as a compiler).

#include<iostream.h>
#include<fstream.h>
#include<string.h>
#include<stdio.h>

void main()
{
	char exit[4]="\esc";
	ofstream myfile;
	myfile.open("chk.txt",ios::ate);
	cout<<"write to file\n";

while(1)
	{
		char temp[600];
		gets(temp);
		[B]if(strcmp(temp,exit))
			break;[/B]
		myfile<<temp<<endl;
	}

myfile.close();
}

Recommended Answers

Hello anu07,
strcmp wil return value 0 if both the strings are equal.You should check whether strcmp(temp,exit)==0. If you give if(strcmp(temp,exit)) it will break at the first time itself.

Jump to Post

You should give double slash in the array exit because single slash is used for giving '\n','\r' etc.

char exit[4]="\\esc";

"\\esc" implies that your string is \esc.

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

Hello anu07,
strcmp wil return value 0 if both the strings are equal.You should check whether strcmp(temp,exit)==0. If you give if(strcmp(temp,exit)) it will break at the first time itself.

Member Avatar

Thanks,but now there is another problem,if I do as you say,even after entering "\esc" it doesn't break,it carries on.

You should give double slash in the array exit because single slash is used for giving '\n','\r' etc.

char exit[4]="\\esc";

"\\esc" implies that your string is \esc.

Member Avatar

done that,no difference :(

What did you give in runtime? \esc or \\esc?
because it works in mine.

Member Avatar

okk I forgot to change from temp[4] to temp[5]...thanks a lot...:)

Member Avatar

okk I forgot to change from temp[4] to temp[5]...thanks a lot...:)

I meant exit[4] to exit[5]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.