(I did search for this, but didn't find exactly what I am looking for).

I am working on a function that will generate a sine wave at a given frequency AND sampling rate. Something that will "fill a 10k sample buffer with a 1 kHz wave at a 44.1 kHz sample rate".

My attempts so far are producing a "tone", but the tone changes in unexpected ways as I vary the inputs, and any reference along the lines of what I am trying to do might help.

I imagine that such a reference or a forum discussion might be "out there" somewhere. Appreciate any pointers....

(I did search for this, but didn't find exactly what I am looking for).

I am working on a function that will generate a sine wave at a given frequency AND sampling rate. Something that will "fill a 10k sample buffer with a 1 kHz wave at a 44.1 kHz sample rate".

My attempts so far are producing a "tone", but the tone changes in unexpected ways as I vary the inputs, and any reference along the lines of what I am trying to do might help.

I imagine that such a reference or a forum discussion might be "out there" somewhere. Appreciate any pointers....

I'm not aware of any simple reference for your specific question, but here's a quick line of thought for you:

• A sample rate of 44.1 kHz is 44,100 samples/second
  • A 1 kHz wave is 1,000 cycles/second
  • The sine function has a cycle length of 2*pi

So. You need to scale your sine function such that 1,000 sine wave cycles would fit into 44,100 samples. Here's a rough look at how you'd derive code to fill the buffer:

for(i = 0; i < 10000; i++)
{
  // i is the sample index

// Straight sine function means one cycle every 2*pi samples:
  // buffer[i] = sin(i); 

// Multiply by 2*pi--now it's one cycle per sample:
  // buffer[i] = sin((2 * pi) * i); 

// Multiply by 1,000 samples per second--now it's 1,000 cycles per second:
  // buffer[i] = sin(1000 * (2 * pi) * i);

// Divide by 44,100 samples per second--now it's 1,000 cycles per 44,100
  // samples, which is just what we needed:
  buffer[i] = sin(1000 * (2 * pi) * i / 44100);
}

A graphing calculator will help you visualize what's going on in each step, and writing out the dimensional analysis can't hurt, either.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.