ok so im making a windows forms application in microsoft visual C# 2010. this is how i got it to change form:

page_2 page2 = new page_2();
page2.Visible = true;
this.Visible = false;
page2.SetDesktopLocation(50, 50);

the form its on is page_1 and its going to page_2. this works fine, the only problem is that all changes made to page_1 get removed and reset to default when using the same code to return from page_2. a friend of mine said to make page1 and page2 into global variables but i dont really know how to do that.

i found another topic on here asking about global variables and they said to put it in a static class but that didn't solve the problem, it wouldn't even work.

when i try using "page2.Visible = true" it says "page2 does not exist in the current context", im thinking that means i haven't told it where it is properly.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Jake110

figure out a way to switch back and forth between 4 different pages, my example and testing is only using 2 pages at the moment. the code i posted is the code i attached to a button and it opens the second form called page_2, i think its creating an instance of it called page2. the problem is that since thats the only way i know of to change between active forms, it re-creats the other form before opening, causing all the data to reset to the original values.

Did you think about something like this:
PS: code is meant to work with 2 forms (form2, and form3). If you want for, add 2 more.

public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        Form[] forms;
        Form2 f2;
        Form3 f3;
        int counter;
        public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            forms = new Form[] { f2, f3 };
        }

private void buttonFor_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {           
            if (counter < forms.Length)
            {
                CommonMethod();
                counter++;
            }
        }

private void buttonBack_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (counter > 0)
            {
                counter--;
                CommonMethod();               
            }
        }

private void CommonMethod()
        {
            for (int i = 0; i < forms.Length; i++)
            {
                if (forms[i] == null)
                {
                    if (i == 0)
                    {
                        f2 = new Form2();
                        forms[i] = f2;
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        f3 = new Form3();
                        forms[i] = f3;
                    }
                }
                if (counter == i)
                {
                    forms[i].Location = new Point((this.Location.X + this.Width + 10), this.Location.Y);
                    forms[i].Show();
                }
                else
                    forms[i].Hide();
            }
        }
    }

There is some work to be done, but this is working approximatelly.

Edited by Mitja Bonca: n/a

that works for getting off the starting page but when i try using the code for the button on a different form it doesn't work, i think its because it doesn't like it when i try making it use variables from other forms, all the forms are there own classes but it still doesn't like it even when the functions are set to public.

ok i've got a work around sorted, im using a seperate form as a page selecter thats always running. same code as you posted. thanks for the help.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.