I just bought and read Jim Waldo's "Java The Good Parts". (ISBN 978-0-596-80373-5)
It is a very interesting book that gives you insight in what happens under the surface. This is not a book about learning how to program in Java. It is rather a book for those who have at least some experience of programing, preferable in Java, and I think that even those who have used Java a lot can find this book interesting. The book discuss how Java is built, why things are like they are, why there is a benefit in using interfaces, packages and so on. I can warmly recommend you to read it.

I do not really understand why this thread was moved, but I decide to mark it as solved since it is not a question.

not only is it not a question. it is an advertisement and closer to spam than any question gets.

not only is it not a question. it is an advertisement and closer to spam than any question gets.

@bibiki
I beg your pardon, but this thread was posted by me in the Lounch because I wanted to share my thoughts about a very good book. I am certainly not the author and I am not the one who decided where the thread fit in. That decision is made by the admins of this site. If you have any complaints about the thread please contact an admin or use the "flag bad post" option.

I don't see any problem with posting a pointer to useful reference materials.

Maybe the admins should move the post to the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum with all the other resources about java.

Yes you right it is not question. However you are wrong about advertisement as it is highly unlikely that sneaker and Jim Waldo is the same person (plus he already denied that). I had quick peek on book and as sneaker hinted it is not reading for beginner (so you may not appreciate it) and it something to read if you want to know more of internal stuff, but nothing heavy to get your head spinning...

@sneaker you more then welcome to copy original post and add it to Starting "Java" [Java tutorials / resources / faq] you can also add either of the links to Google books or O'reilly

Hope that now situation is clarified.

alright, I see my assumptions as far as mentioning books on threads were wrong. I thought it is a DaniWeb policy not to reference books because this one time I asked about books recommended, I was not directed to any book, and got the impression that the one I asked was trying to just escape answering (which surprised me, because a forum can benefit from such references in many levels). so, when sneaker asked why his post was moved, I thought I was giving him an answer and not judging his posting.

also, I looked at the book's content as well. I read it's chapter one, and chapter on IDEs. You, peter_budo, are right. I am not a complete beginner, but I am far from a professional. however, I intend to be a professional, so I stick my nose on everything programming/java.

Of topic
@bibiki not sure to which post you are referring so I cannot be precise with this reply. Usually people do not answer or tell you off if you are asking questions like "where can I get boo XYZ" that does smell of illegal downloads. Secondly you may get negative answer if you talk about books like "Java for Dummies" that are not design to teach you something and explain in little more details. Dummies are usually design to get students quickly through some samples without giving much of explanation.
Do not be afraid to ask questions about future/recommended reading there are some professional developers that can chip in with some very interesting stuff :)

Since we're on the topic, I found Peter Haggar's "Practical Java" to be quite a good collection of useful tips. Might be a bit dated today, but as far as I recall, it's all still good advice.

commented: Thx for adding a book to the thread +4

alright, I'll add the following book:
this is the book we use at school. it is freely distributed.

commented: thx for adding a book to the thread +4

Thanks for the tip, but I notice this:

This material is intended for the use of the CIS students and staff at Kansas State University and should not be copied or distributed beyond KSU without my permission. (Please send me an email if you want to use these notes for personal study or for a course you are teaching---it won't cost you anything; I just want to know who is using the text.)

You might want to send Mr. Schmidt a heads-up, it doesn't sound like he'll mind much.

(Gosh, I was supposed to be writing code... how is it that I find myself procrastinating? :) )

one of our professors has even translated the first six chapters with his permission, so we're good. :)

yeah... I should be studying calculus instead.

Thank you Peter, but It does not really matter to me where the thread is located. I am just happy that everyone seems to be satisfied with its content. Thank you guys for contribute to the usefulness of the thread with other books. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.