I have C# windows form application, with all default settings. I am using VS 2008, OS - Windows VIsta.

When my form loses focus, (as in when a user clicks on something behind the form), i need the same form that lost focus to regain it.

I made use of this Event to handle this;

private void Form1_Deactivate_1(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

Console.WriteLine("DEACTIVATE EVENT _______+++++++++_________");
       Form1 f = new Form1();
      f.show();
    }

Here, what you will see is that is when the form loses its focus, the Console.writeline command will execute and a new form will appear on the screen. I do not want this. i want the exact form that lost focus to regain focus and appear back on the screen. How do i do this.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Why do you want to mix a Console and a Forms application?

Why do you want to mix a Console and a Forms application?

that's just for testing purposes. it will be removed later. and i guess that it won't have any effect to what i am trying to achieve.

i need the same form that lost focus to regain it.

What exactly do you mean?
When you click another application window, your form deactivates and looses focus, when you click on your form it activates again and regains focus.

What exactly do you mean?
When you click another application window, your form deactivates and looses focus, when you click on your form it activates again and regains focus.

Just imagine like this. You open a browser page (which occupies the whole screen). the you execute your windows form application (which is 5X5 CM). Now the form application is on focus.

You set a few properties in your form application to always stay on top. (TopMost)

now when you click in the browser, the form application will lose focus (but remain on top because the TopMost property is set). What i want to do is, when any user, at all circumstance click something back of the screen, the form application should not lose focus and it should always be on top, with focus set on it.

hope i made it clear :S

So you want something like a modeless dialog?
Like a Find dialog you can keep on top all the time?
Well you always have to click it to get its "attention".
It's like driving two cars, you cannot drive both at the same time.

So you want something like a modeless dialog?
Like a Find dialog you can keep on top all the time?
Well you always have to click it to get its "attention".
It's like driving two cars, you cannot drive both at the same time.

Yes something like that, but i don't want to click on anything, it should automatically be on focus.

Hope you have seen some websites, when you try to close it it pops up asking if you want to remain in the same page or leave it. at least something like that would do. and focus should be back on the form

Sorry, I'm out of resources here.:(

Sorry, I'm out of resources here.:(

yup its ok. By any chance do you know how to access the MouseClick event in VS 2008. Its not there in the list provided. How do i add this event ? (i know its a new question, but if you know could you tell me how to do it)

Yes, you had better posted this question in a new thread. :S
But a Form has a MouseClick event!
Create a formsapp.
In the properties window of the form, select the events button(the one with the lightning bolt).
Find the MouseClick event, double click it and you are ready to code it!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.