Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so nice to meet you all :D

I'm really bugged by a weird bug that prevents my dialog from showing up, however the buttons show up twice, one overlapping the other. I saw other threads that discusses about this but I'm afraid I can't find a way out through them.

I have already found the problem ( i hope) and (sort of) fixed itby copying and pasting the DialogProcedure code from winprog which i have used as my reference for the project.

here's the code from winprog:

BOOL CALLBACK AboutDlgProc(HWND hwnd, UINT Message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
	switch(Message)
	{	
		case WM_INITDIALOG:

return TRUE;
		case WM_COMMAND:
			switch(LOWORD(wParam))
			{
				case IDCANCEL:
					EndDialog(hwnd, IDCANCEL);
				break;
			}
		break;
		default:
			return FALSE;
	}
	return TRUE;
}

and here's mine:

BOOL CALLBACK CalculatorProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
	switch (message)
	{	
		case WM_INITDIALOG:

return TRUE;
		case WM_COMMAND:
			switch (LOWORD(wParam))
			{
			case ID_CANCEL:
				EndDialog(hwnd,ID_CANCEL);
				break;
			}
			break;
	}
	return TRUE;
}

i tried replacing my codes for the WinMain and WinProc on the tutorial's solution and the dialog still worked finely. The difference appeared when i replaced my dialog procedure with the tutorial's. When i pasted the tutorial's procedure, I only changed the name of the variables to match mine, in the end, it completely matches mine. Is there something i missed or am i going blind? :(

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

sorry for double posting, I forgot to mention that i created the dialog in resource view. the dialog is called IDD_DIALOG1 whereas the dialog button is ID_CANCEL :)

If you created the dialog using the CreateDialog function the last function argument should be a pointer to the callback function CalculatorProc.Don't forget to modify that too.

hmm I didn't create using CreateDialog function. I used DialogBox function instead. here's what I did in my WinProc:

LRESULT CALLBACK WinProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{

switch (message)
	{
	case WM_DESTROY:
		PostQuitMessage(0);
		break;

case WM_COMMAND:
		{
			switch (LOWORD(wParam))
			{
			case ID_HOME_KELUAR:
				PostQuitMessage(0);
				break;

case ID_KALKULATOR_KALKULATOR:
				{
DialogBox(GetModuleHandle(NULL),MAKEINTRESOURCE(DLG_KALKULATOR),hwnd,CalculatorProc);
				}
				break;
			}
		}
		break;
	default:
		return DefWindowProc(hwnd,message,wParam,lParam);
	}

return 0;

}

Try creating a modeless dialogbox.

LRESULT CALLBACK WinProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
    {
    static hwnd Dialog; 
    switch (message)
    {
    case WM_DESTROY:
    PostQuitMessage(0);
    break;

case WM_COMMAND:
    {
    switch (LOWORD(wParam))
    {
    case ID_HOME_KELUAR:
    PostQuitMessage(0);
    break;

case ID_KALKULATOR_KALKULATOR:
    {
    Dialog=CreateDialog(GetModuleHandle(NULL),MAKEINTRESOURCE(DLG_KALKULATOR),hwnd,&CalculatorProc);
    }
    break;
    }
    }
    break;
    default:
    return DefWindowProc(hwnd,message,wParam,lParam);
    }

return 0;

}

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll eventually try out the modeless dialog, however, for this project I'd like to use modal. I want to know where I went wrong with my code :( I don't see any difference with my dialog procedure with the tutorial's that could make my dialog not appearing like it is supposed to @.@

I think you must have a static handle of the dialog box otherwise it get's destroyed.The DialogBox does not return a HWDN so i suggested using CreateDialog instead. Just a hunch .. it think it is much like when you declare a child window in a window procedure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.