Is it possible to select a block vertically (rather than the usual horizontal) and delete or add multiple lines in columns in one go from within RAD studio's (Delphi's) IDE?

I'm getting frustrated with Delphi's poor documentation. Am I alone with this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is it possible to select a block vertically (rather than the usual horizontal) and delete or add multiple lines in columns in one go from within RAD studio's (Delphi's) IDE?

You can select a block by pressing ALT and (keeping it pressed) selecting text with the mouse. You can then delete the whole block of text with DEL key. Using ALT+SHIFT+arrow keys you can select a block of text with just the keyboard. Haven't found a way to insert a block of text yet.

thanks, I'll give it a try.

Yes, you need to toggle to columnar mode. You'll have to poke around your keybindings to figure out how to do it. Using the "Classic" keybindings (the modified WordStar 3 ones) you can toggle using ^O^C (columnar) and ^O^K (normal block).

I use D5 all the time -- I haven't verified that more modern versions of the IDE support this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.