I'm currently using the fourth edition of Deitels "C++ How to Program", which I borrowed from the library. I'm interested in buying a copy of the textbook myself. If I buy a fifth/sixth edition will there be things that will be confusing? For example, are the concepts introduced in a different order, which would cause me confusion? I'm up to chapter 5.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I'm not a fan of the Deitel series, but you'd be wise to get the newest edition (8th edition, at the time of this post). It'll contain error corrections from the other editions as well as reasonably up-to-date content. Though every time I check, the Deitel books are hideously overpriced.

Accelerated C++ would give you more for less than half the price.

Honestly, I would love too. The problem is that the 8th edition costs $89 compared to the 6th edition which is $17 and the fifth edition which is $10. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that C++ hasn't changed much in the past 5 years. What do you mean when you say up to date?

The problem is that the 8th edition costs $89

Right, overpriced. Get a different book.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that C++ hasn't changed much in the past 5 years.

It's changed a lot in the last five years, and those changes have been (will be shortly) released in the 2011 standard. My best advice is not to waste a lot of money on a book until a good one covering C++11 hits the shelves. Fortunately, Accelerated C++ is both cheap and one of the best books covering C++03 available right now.

That's not to say that you can't learn from the 5th or 6th edition of Deitel, but like I said, I'm not a fan of that series, so I won't recommend them. ;)

Are there a lot of test problems to work on?

Yes.

Thanks. I'll check it out

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.