Hi all,

I've been working on a piece of software for a few weeks now and I've got to the point where I'm publishing it and testing it on other computers, namely my colleague's. We're both working on the same network and have similar permissions for our accounts, but for some reason the application will launch on my account but not his.

We've tried using the same computer and just changing accounts, but that won't work either; he still isn't able to launch the published application.

I receive the standard "[x] has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message.

What is baffling me is that we've tried previous versions on his computer and they worked just fine. I can't think of any changes that I've made that would suddenly stop the application from running.

A few extra pieces of information: the application has a splashscreen, which displays for a few seconds before the error message crops up. In this time, the program is supposed to check if certain files and directories exist and, if not, create them. It also changes file attributes. These files exist in a directory we are both able to access and both have permissions to change. It also changes and sets some variables within the program itself, but I don't see that being an issue. It is able to catch exceptions of type IOException and InvalidOperationException (which was being thrown when a computer didn't have access to the intranet).

I've tried searches on the web but can't find much that seems to be of use. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for at least reading this far!

Just a final piece of information I forgot to mention! I'm using Visual Basic 2010 Express. My colleague has the .NET Framework 4.0 and other required resources installed (assuming that VB updates this list accurately in the Publish tab).

Do you have installed all the .NET framework version from 2.0 to 4.0?
Also you need Visual Basic Powerpacks

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

The first thing I would do when trying to debug that is put all the code in a try catch block and message box the error and re publish.

'All code running while starting up
Catch ex as exception
end try

Thats helped me figure out situations your talking of.

The Try Catch block worked a charm. Turns out it was a problem with the way I was reading a string and trying to convert it to a date. That problem has been fixed now! Thanks so much for the help and sorry for my late response.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.