Hey there

So, I've been coding C# Windows Forms Applications for quite some time now, and i want to get started with asp.net, however i dont know where to start :(, on microsoft site, there are MVC, Web Pages, Web Forms, and to be honest i just want to get started with a normal site, if that makes sense, where should i start?

Cheers
Jazerix

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I would just start by making an ASP.NET project.
When you run it, the local testing server will invoke and you can play around with it.
If you already know IIS, you can change the deployment parameters to write the output on the web server.

...then get a book

I would just start by making an ASP.NET project.
When you run it, the local testing server will invoke and you can play around with it.
If you already know IIS, you can change the deployment parameters to write the output on the web server.

...then get a book

I dont know IIS :P

So, i should start with ASP.NET Web Application or MVC? A lot of choices :)

Start with the ASP.NET Web App.
Have you ever dealt with Apache or any other web server?

Only a little not much :/

WebForms more closely resembles developing in windows forms than MVC does. You can drag controls onto the page and things like that which may be more comfortable for you if you're not very familiar with writing html. Although, if you're not then I would suggest getting familiar with it before you go much farther in developing web applications.

You should install IIS, if you can, and create some regular HTML pages so you can see how the server responds to certain types of files (with special names and types).

Are you very familiar with HTML?

You should install IIS, if you can, and create some regular HTML pages so you can see how the server responds to certain types of files (with special names and types).

Are you very familiar with HTML?

Somewhat, anyways, thanks ill get started :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.