How to fill an array from user input??

Recommended Answers

Please give some effort when you post a question. This is a simple task you could learn by reading a book on C. You need to read in characters from the user and then store those values in the array. Look into fgets() and getchar().

Jump to Post

You never initialize the variable "largest". On line 23, you assign A[0] to an uninitialized value. When you go through A to find the largest value, A[0] could be anything. When I tested it, it was 32767.

I recommend compiling with the compiler option -Wall. That enables all warnings. …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

Please give some effort when you post a question. This is a simple task you could learn by reading a book on C. You need to read in characters from the user and then store those values in the array. Look into fgets() and getchar().

ok i try it. but i don't want to use fgets() and getchar(). I need to display the smallest and largest value in the array.
the program does not contain error but it is not displaying the correct values. Whats wrong with it?

#include<stdio.h>

int main ()

{

int A[10];
		int x,i;
		int largest,smallest;

for (i=0;i<10;i++)

{	

printf ("Enter the values of the Array: ");	

scanf ("%i",&x);

A[i]=x;

}

A[0]=largest;

for (i=0;i<10;i++)

{

if (A[i]>largest)

{

largest=A[i];

}

if (A[i]<largest)

{

smallest=A[i];

}

}
		printf("Largest: %i  ",largest);
		printf("Smallest: %i \n",smallest);

}

You never initialize the variable "largest". On line 23, you assign A[0] to an uninitialized value. When you go through A to find the largest value, A[0] could be anything. When I tested it, it was 32767.

I recommend compiling with the compiler option -Wall. That enables all warnings. When I compiled with that option while using GCC 4.4.3, it said this:

$ gcc -Wall -o array_sizes array_sizes.c
array_sizes.c: In function ‘main’:
array_sizes.c:51: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
array_sizes.c:23: warning: ‘largest’ is used uninitialized in this function

That second warning tells you that you're using an uninitialized variable.

am a bit confused. i assign A[0] to which value?

How about swapping

A[0]=largest;

to

largest= A[0];

largest= A[0];
it is a start and i think line 38 is use less instead of an other "if" you can go on with else smallest=A

You should initialize both largest and smallest as one of the items in the array (A[0], for example) as a starting point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.