In an earlier post, Tech-B stated that, other then dialogs, there wasn't 'any "real" GUI support' in Python that uses the Android SDK or SL4A/SAE. Has anyone tried Jython with the Android SDK?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I found this, don't know if it will help or not. I don't use jython and would imagine that you would still need to know a bit about java.

Hope that helps.

I found this, don't know if it will help or not. I don't use jython and would imagine that you would still need to know a bit about java.

Hope that helps.

It seems that that Jython-for-Android project has died on the vine. Elsewhere, I learned that, while Jython is supposed to convert Python into Java (as opposed to C), Android uses the Dalvik virtual machine and conversions for that VM's byte codes are very difficult and have not been done though some have tried.

Looks like I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.

Like stated before, you can use html as a GUI front-end and python for all the data processing back-end. You don't need to set up a server via python (although that would make it super portable).

Here is a link to using html as a GUI, towards the bottom there is an example using python and grabbing events and data from the page.

I am in no way a web developer and html coding is needed to get this done, but html is supper easy. Here is a link for some really good tutorials.

I you want to get into the advanced things you could use the cgi module, this is using the webserver approach though.

All the links will work with the SL4A since it is all pure python.

Other than that though, there is no way to use complete GUI system with the ASE platform. Unless of course, you add the features yourself in the python-for-android project. I believe it uses JSON to "talk" to the android platform.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.