I need to automatically and dynamically generate an organization tree. The Data comes from an Oracle Database, where the hierarchy is well defined. But I can't seem to find any good way of generating the Tree Structure.

Using a tree-view won't work as there are some designations having 2 or more controlling authorities (i.e. 1 Node will have 2 Parents, AFAIK not possible in Treeview).

I tried to program the Organization Tree in MS Powerpoint, but can't seem to find an programmable interface for it (from VB).

I can't use any other third party tool like VISIO.

Can Anybody offer any help or suggestions ?

Regards

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by aparnesh

aparnesh,

Have you tried adding a reference to "Microsoft PowerPoint XXX Object Library" to your project? Through the "Project / References" menu.

If so, sorry but it was obvious and I'll see what can be done in other ways. Otherwise, give me an update to see how it's going with it.

Thx

Yomet

Hello Yomet

Yes, I did that. I can automate and create a powerpoint slide show, but can't manipulate the Organization chart. I looked through the examples in MSDN, and found one where You can add a box to the Org chart and create connectors and so on. But this code can only be run by a Powerpoint Macro, not from outside. So unfortunately it's not really helping me.

Thanks for trying. Pls let me know if you can find a way.

regards
Aparnesh

Hi,

I am a beginner and would like to learn Programming concepts. First I want to learn VB.
Could anybody suggest me how to start?

Thanks,

Krish

Install VB, get a beginner's book (There are 1000s available) and go through the book.

aparnesh,

To finally give you an answer to your original posting.

I was thinking of creating a PowerPoint macro from VB and adding it to the PP project in order to get to the Org Chart control, however, when I try this the OrgChart control cannot be programmed using PP macros either.

In other words - I am stumped by this problem and cannot find a way to do this.

If anyone else knows how to do it I would be glad to hear from you.

Sorry.

Good luck and Happy Coding

Yomet

Yomet

No Problem. Thanks for trying to help.

If I find a solution, I will post here

regards
Aparnesh

I can advice you to use OrgPlus - that is organizational charting software that also works with Oracle Database and have a lot of features.

Pritkoff
1. The last post was almost 3 yrs ago. Do u really think I am still bothered about it ?
2. I made it clear in my first post that I can't use any other third party software, so no need to plug something.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.