I need suggestions for creating a Help system for a Visual Basic Program.

We have a requirement to provide "on-line help" to our Visual Basic program. What I believe they mean is the sort of Help functionality that one normally sees in C++ generated program.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been told that the file type is a .CHM file that the help system uses. Is there a Help Component in Visual Basic?

What I would really like to do is to have the user choose between having the help be displayed in either .CHM or .HTM format. So, is there a web browser component in Visual Basic too?

Online help - HTML
Offline Help - CHM

as for opening html pages.
i remember i have the code somewhere
let me see if i can dig it out.

as for making chm files.
there are lot of softwares out there
just do google search

Got it
here is how you open a webpage in VB-6

First declare

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

then just place the code below in the event line menuitem click

yourlink = "www.google.com"
ShellExecute hWnd, "open", "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE", yourlink, vbNullString, 1

usually by online help there are help pages with search facility placed in the net somewhere
so all you have to do is go to the page there
but should have been developed and uploaded before hand.
using php or asp or whatever

that is how we usually do it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.