Hello.
I am looking for a website that I can download Microsoft Visual c++ 6.0 or whatever it's called, the compiler. Just the compiler, nothing else like those things on Mic.'s website. Please give me a good up to date link that has a free full download for the compiler. I can provide the header files myself, but I prefer them to be there.
Thank you.
Faraz

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

why download an old and ancient version 6.0? Get the free current version vc++ 2010 Express, easily located by google.

>> I can provide the header files myself
Are you sure? There are a couple hundred of them.

If you insist on version 6.0 you will also have to install service pack #6 for that compiler because it contains many many bug fixes.

BTW: I don't know a free link

I am looking for a website that I can download Microsoft Visual c++ 6.0 or whatever it's called, the compiler.

The compiler itself is called CL.exe, but since there are so many dependent files it's best to install the IDE package.

Please give me a good up to date link that has a free full download for the compiler.

The up-to-date link is for Visual C++ 2010 Express. I'm not aware of any legal download sites for Visual C++ 6.0 (try ebay for used media). Even if there were any, I would strongly discourage use of that compiler for C++ because it's woefully inadequate. That particular version was released just before the C++ standard was finished, which means it's a bastard of the two conflicting dialects. The result is that writing C++ with Visual C++ 6.0 was an exercise in frustration.

It was a fine compiler for C though.

I can provide the header files myself

Which accomplishes nothing if you don't also have the corresponding object files. :icon_rolleyes:

Okay, thanks. I use visual c++ 6.0 at school, so yeah. I have dev c++ but it's giving some errors which I am too lazy to do anything about but get a new one. Besides the vcpp 2010E, is there anything else that would make it a bit more useful?

Also, are these 2 things useful/necessary? I just downloaded them in case.
Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2(x86) ENU
MIcrosoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x86)

and even if we knew of a place to download it, we wouldn't give it to you as it would be a repository of pirated software and distribution is violation of several laws.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.