Can someone give me a pointer on how to solve this scenario:
1) I have an image of a chessboard (8x8) with black and white squares. I need to analyze the image and create a 8x8 matrix corresponding to the chessboard.
2) Store 0 if the corresponding chessboard cell is white, store 1 if the corresponding chessboard is black

The chessboard images have constant size, color depth and resolution. The image might be rotated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pyTony

Png or bitmap or jpeg. I know there is a brute force approach to check for rgb values of every pixel, but is there anything else?

edge detection? Or find first black pixels and see if it is corner, use it to choose between alternatives starting with 1 or starting with 0.

I think you do not give full info, for example there must be some background also.

edge detection? Or find first black pixels and see if it is corner, use it to choose between alternatives starting with 1 or starting with 0.

I think you do not give full info, for example there must be some background also.

I want to digitize hundreds of chess puzzles from Russian hobby journals. The puzzles are scanned into PDF. I extracted images and now want to convert chessboards into arrays

could you not post what you have and atttach few of the pictures from advanced editor -> manage attachments. Sounds interesting.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.