Here's what I want to be able to do:

I have a table that's storing, say a list of speeches, with several fields holding data for records. Within each record, I want to make a list of several sources from which information is drawn for a particular speech.

So, field 1 might contain a title, field 2 a date, field 3 a location, etc. I want to be able to enter a list of reference sources and add them to a table within that record. I'm very new to programming, but it seems to me this is a description of a table nested within another table.

Is this correct, and where can I get some fairly detailed information on how to implement this?

Here's what I want to be able to do:

I have a table that's storing, say a list of speeches, with several fields holding data for records. Within each record, I want to make a list of several sources from which information is drawn for a particular speech.

So, field 1 might contain a title, field 2 a date, field 3 a location, etc. I want to be able to enter a list of reference sources and add them to a table within that record. I'm very new to programming, but it seems to me this is a description of a table nested within another table.

Is this correct, and where can I get some fairly detailed information on how to implement this?

this is fairly simple. you are probably going to use access or sql for this, right. the table is not exactly nest, unless maybe your working with xml.
what you need is a table with all your speeches, and that speech table should have a primary key. then make a references table, which you will create a foreign key to link back to the speech table.
so the primary is going to be unique for all the speech records. then the other table foreign key should match the record its pointing too.
that creates a many-to-one relationship, so one record with speech can have several references without any redundency.
i hope you understand that cause i had a hard time explaining it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.