Hi all,

Im not sure if im posting this at the right place therefore please excuse if i have not.

My Question is:

Which position is a better or a senior position ie. Systems analyst or Developer ?

I am established in the job market as the I.T systems analyst for a food manufacturing company. Recently i got offered a developer position in a software (web and desk) development firm. Do you think it would be wise for me to make a move. Note: The salary and other benefits are better than what i have atm as a systems analyst but i need advise if by taking the position i would be demoting myself in the industry in terms of position.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The positions are worth whatever the employer makes them worth. Both positions are valuable in IT, but neither are a management position. I wouldn't lose too much hair over it and just do whatever you feel is best for you.

These are different types of positions. It would like comparing apples and oranges. With regard to which is more senior, I find them to be about equal with regard to status. The real question is do you want to be a developer? If you have little interest in the job, but like the salary, you may find that you may not do well and could move up quicker as an analyst if that is what you enjoy to do. My point is do what you enjoy, that will ensure you do it well, which will present you with future opportunities.

Hope that helps...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.