Hi,

I was reading about Python and spotted "it has high signal-to-noise ratio" bit. In general, what does it really mean? I read some stuff about it but no particular explanation for programming.

Tahnsk

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Someone is trying to be clever... :-) I think that they mean you get a lot of functionality for relatively little code.

Because Perl has so many esoteric built-in variables like - @_ or $_ or $. or $` or $& or $' or $^I...it can make the code very messy(like line noise) to the uninitiated .

In python you don't have to declare types and you don't have to declare interfaces, the way you do in certain other languages, and it has certain constructs like list comprehensions and general "functional" features that let you avoid having to write things in terms of declaring local variables and writing loops that manipulate them. Also it has generators.

The downside for certain applications and upside for others is that the language has a particularly dynamic nature.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.