Hello! Being my first post on Daniweb 'n' all, I'd like to apologies if this is in the incorrect section. This isn't why I'm here, though. I am a moderator on a fairly huge forum and thus we get roughly over 1500 reports for rule-breaking posts per day across all boards. A large part of my job is handing out warnings to members, and this is a tedious process as some of you may know :( So I thought to myself "I need to make a little app to do it for me". I popped into VB because it is the language I know best (And even then my knowledge is limited) and set to work. About 10 minutes into the project, I realized I had forgotten everything I knew as I hadn't used VB for about a year.

So my question is: How would I make an app that spits out text with variable strings?

If that question is a bit confusing/shoddy, here is my GUI
http://i.imgur.com/nz5ak.png
I want to be able to enter a name, select the rule (I will change it to a fixed dropdown like the suspended box), select whether the offending content is a thread or a post, select the suspension time and enter the quoted post. The loading bar is for show because it looks nice :3

Here is the current, blank report I use. I have to change the brackets every time I use it:

Hello [NAME]

You have received [NUMBER] official board infraction point[s] for making an infringement of the rules. [Because you now have [NUMBER] infraction points, you have also been issued with a [NUMBER] day post suspension.]

You posted [in] [TOPIC] and posted the following:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Which is in violation of the [RULE] rule. [Rule description - See Rules thread]

If you need to review the forum rules, you can find them [LINK - here]. If you need to review the section rules, you can find them [LINK - here]. Please don't hesitate to send me a [LINK - private message] if you have any queries about this matter.

If you continue to infringe on the forum rules and gain another infraction point, you will receive a[n/other] [NUMBER] day posting suspension.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a nice day

Mobyguy77

All I want to do is automate this process. No bells or whistles :)

Any answer, big or small is appreciated. The boredom of filling these out is getting to me. Haha!

Thanks,

Moby

Recommended Answers

Hmmm...

First thing is I'd say this could be done a number of in different ways, really depends on what you are most comfortable with XML / XSLT or Parsing text etc.

Either way, I would make each of "Tags" unique to the piece of data you are applying.

The …

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

Hmmm...

First thing is I'd say this could be done a number of in different ways, really depends on what you are most comfortable with XML / XSLT or Parsing text etc.

Either way, I would make each of "Tags" unique to the piece of data you are applying.

The simplest routine I can think of is to have your Template text with the tags and then use a replace to input your data e.g.

function issueWarning (byref User as string, byref Template as string, byref Rule as String, byref InfractionPoint as integer, byref Topic as string , Optional byval DaySuspend as integer=0) as String
dim Output as string =""
Output = Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Template, "[USER]",User),"[RULE]", Rule),"[INFRACTION]",InfractionPoint),"[TOPIC]",Topic)
IF DaySuspended > 0 THEN
 Output = Replace(Output, "[DAYSUSPENDED]","You have also been issued with a " &DaySuspened &" Suspension."

Else
    Output = Replace(Output, "[DAYSUSPENDED]","")
END IF
Return Output
ENd function

As you can see, I'm just giving a simple example, you can make it as complex or as easy as you wish. Also, to save time I made it as a function that will return a completed string for use it your code and you pass in the template as a string - you could do this differently but I didn't want to type it all out :-)

Perfect answer my friend :D I can definitely work from this. Thanks a bunch!

Glad I could help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.