Hi guys!

I found a source code from the net Click Here about creating an address book. Right now I'm trying to learn how to do it myself by reading diff. samples, the thing is I always see this written in the description and I have no idea how to create this data.dat and I don't know what does it do >.<

will the code run without this data.dat?

first create a directory named **
****data **** which should be in Bin folder of
jdk
and in that create a file
name data.dat

Click Here this one

address book using java in frontnd and msaccess in
backend.myprojects.address is the package,consists of four classes
loginb,start,search,add. **** sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriv****

with this type of address book I keep getting this message

SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

have no idea how to create this data.dat

Do you have a definition of what the bytes in the file contain? Given that you could create the file.

NormR1, I don't think the data type is necessary because it will be an empty file. However, I believe that it would be a simple ASCII storage. The file name should be data.dat and the way to create an empty file is depended on what OS you have. On Linux, it is very easy. Just open a command window and type in >touch data.dat and an empty file named data.dat will be created in the current directory you are in. On Windows, type >echo.>data.dat in the command window (run cmd.exe), and you will get an empty file in the folder you are currently in.

The think that I don't like about the code he got is that it specifies the directory for database used (in the JDK bin folder). I wouldn't use hard-coded if I were to implement it...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.