Hello, i need your help. Does anybody knows the code for automatically records who logged in and the other users cannot edit what they have inputed, only the datas they input can be edited?

i have the log in form already, and the database as well. the only problem is what i have said above, the datas can be edited by other people as well. hope you guys can help me. :D

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

You mean to say if one user is using the form1 to input the data the other user should not be able to use the form1?

you an write and insert function that captures the username, time_of_login, Data_of_login of whoever logs in. This can then be called whenever any user sucessfully logs in so it automatically saves the data to its corresponding table.

You need to make more clarification on the editing part of your statement. Do you mean you want users to edit on what they entered or you want the editing to be done by other users because there seems to be a conflict between your statements in the first and second paragraph

@Pgmer - what i mean is that, you have like one database which has tables. then, all the user will see only that form, but they cannot edit what the other users had put.

@NetCode - about the editing part, you get the point already, only users can edit what he/she entered, other users won't be able to edit what he entered. About the log in thingy, i don't know what codes to put on my database. what function is that? i already have the table for my database, and i want the name of the user to be included also on that table automatically.

i want to believe you have a form that saves this data into your database which only a particular user can edit what he/she entered. Also, i guess you already have a login form which is used to authenticate users and grant them access to your application. If so, then all you need do is write a little sub-procedure that saves the necessary login details anytime a user logs in. You can capture the username, time and date of login in that sub and call the sub whenever there's a successful login by a user. This way, the data is logged in its designated table.

@Netcode. - yes, i already have the log in form but i don't know what codes to put. that's the problem. How do i put it? what are the codes to be used then?

If you want to prevent edits by other users then three possibilities are:

1. separate database for each user with a common database for login info
  2. separate tables for each user with a common login table
  3. all tables contain a field identifying the user

Option 1 is probably not practical in your case (although I did once create an application that had to generate a new database for each new month so there are cases where this is the preferred option).

Option 2 is more practical than option 1 but requires more programming.

Option 3 is the easiest of the three options. What you would do is create a User table with at least two fields. The primary key (userID) is a unique, identity and auto-incrementing. Another field is the username of the logged in user. For every table that can be edited you would add the userID field. You could also iniclude fields for other user specific info. When the user logs in you would set a global variable to that user's userID. Any selects/updates would include the clause

"WHERE userID = " & userID

When a user logs in for the first time you would add a record to the User table. Because the userID field is identity and auto-incrementing, you don't have to worry about creating a unique userID. That is done automatically.

what do you mean by editted by other user?
what datas are being editted?

@saphiro - only that user can edit what he encoded, others should not be able to edit it.

When user creates the records in DB save the user name, And while updating or deleting the data check which user if same who has created then let the operation or else stop the operation with appropriate message to the user.

I still don't get the ideas you're saying guys, I'm sorry. I'm kind of slow when there's no video tutorial. so i have these codes already.
Public Class Form1

Private Sub LabelBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
    Me.Validate()
    Me.LabelBindingSource.EndEdit()
    Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.DataDataSet)

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'DataDataSet.label' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    Me.LabelTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DataDataSet.label)

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

LabelBindingSource.AddNew()

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

Try
        Me.Validate()
        Me.LabelBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.DataDataSet)
    Catch ex As Exception
        MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click

LabelBindingSource.MovePrevious()

End Sub

Private Sub Button5_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button5.Click

LabelBindingSource.MoveNext()

End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click

LabelBindingSource.RemoveCurrent()

End Sub

Private Sub _DATEToolStripButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub _DATEToolStrip_ItemClicked(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub Button6_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button6.Click
    Try
        Me.LabelTableAdapter._DATE(Me.DataDataSet.label, TextBox1.Text)
    Catch ex As System.Exception
        System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
    End Try
End Sub

Private Sub Button7_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button7.Click
    Try
        Me.LabelTableAdapter.ITEM(Me.DataDataSet.label, TextBox2.Text)
    End Try
End Sub

Private Sub Button8_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button8.Click
    Try
        Me.LabelTableAdapter.FillByserialnumber(Me.DataDataSet.label, TextBox3.Text)
    End Try
End Sub

Private Sub ITEMToolStripButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub ITEMToolStrip_ItemClicked(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub FillByserialnumberToolStripButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub FillByserialnumberToolStrip_ItemClicked(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub FillByRadioToolStripButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub FillByRadioToolStrip_ItemClicked(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub Button9_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button9.Click

Try
        Me.LabelTableAdapter.FillByRadio(Me.DataDataSet.label, TextBox4.Text)
    End Try

End Sub

End Class

I still don't have yet the log in form, but what code should i put so that his username will be automatically be recorded on my datagrid? where should i put it?

In the interest of full disclosure I will start by saying that I have no experience with controls bound to database tables. All of my database experience is as a SQL db Admin, and as a SQL programmer using ADO. I'll try an example. Let's say you have a table for employees to enter info about online courses they may be taking. The fields are

*EmployeeID int NOT NULL
*CourseID   varchar NOT NULL
 StartDate  date
 EndDate    date
 Status     varchar NOT NULL
 Grade      int

The "*" indicates a primary key. In this case, because an employee can take multiple courses, we use both the EmployeeID and CourseID as the primary key. Note that every record contains the EmployeeID. NOT NULL indicates that the field must contain a value.

In the display form, the query you use to display the data will depend on whether or not you want employees to see records for other users. Assuming that you got the EmployeeID from the database when the user logged on your query would be either

"SELECT * FROM CourseWork WHERE EmployeeID = " & employeeID

or

"SELECT * FROM CourseWork"

It makes sense to restrict the editing ability because you don't want one employee to modify the grades of another. But if you want to use a control such as DataGridView for display and editing then you have the problem of restricting the modification of cells to only those in records for the current user. Perhaps the app could have two modes, "view" and "edit". You could change the underlying query so that "view" selectes all records" and "edit" selects only those for the current user. If you want to have just one mode then you could set the non-editable cells no ReadOnly amd the background color to something like LightGray as

If Not editable Then
    DataGridView1.Rows(row).Cells(col).Style.BackColor = Color.LightGray
End If

@reverend jim - does the visual basic 2008 express ed have the sql thingy that you're using.? i really need help, i need that project in 2 weeks time, i need to finish it. :|and are my problems be solved if i use the sql.?

I use the full VB 2000 pro. I don't know if VB 2008 Express comes with any version of SQL Express but if not it is available as a free download from Microsoft. Try running the VB Express installer again and see if SQL is an option that you didn't select when you first inistalled it. However, you can still use SQL commands if you only have Access installed. If you are using Access (you didn't mention which DB you were using) then you should continue with Access. You are under a deadline and now is not the time to switch.

@reverend jim = i think i'm using the sql. i'm not sure though, but i already have the sql server 2005 on my desktop. i'll try to make database with access by watching tutorial.

So assuming you are using SQLDB, what do your tables look like?

@reverend jim - they're in datagridview. my form looks like this.

I meant the database tables. Sorry for the ambiguity.

i didn't get what you meant about the table. is it this one.

Close enough. Assuming that the info in the column headers reflect the actual field names in the database I have the following suggestions:

• Don't use the field name ":)". It's meaningless
  • Don't use "DATE" for a field name. It's generally a reserved word and you are better off using a name like login_date or purchase_date or something that indicates what the date means.
  • Don't use blanks in field names. Use serial_number rather than "serial number".
  • Same comment as above for the field name "BY". Use entered_by or edited_by or something meaningful.

Since the user must log in to use the app I have to assume that you have a table that stores the username info. If so, this table should also have an auto-incrementing (identity) field so that every user has a unique user number. The user number should be added to the schema for the table you want to display/edit. I'll use (mostly) your field names (or close to) for now. Your tables would then look like

userid     int (identity)
username   varchar
password   varchar

field1
date
item
serial_no
radio_station
status
by
userid

The user is first presented with a login form. When the user clicks LOGIN after entering his/her credentials, the code would do

query = "SELECT userid FROM UserTable " & _
        " WHERE username = '" & txtUser.Text & "'" & _
        "   AND password = '" & txtPass.Text & "'"

If you execute the query and no records are returned then either the username or password was incorrect and the login fails. If the login succeeds you save the userid in a variable with class scope.

Assuming that you want the user to be able to see only his/her records then, once the user has logged in, the query to populate the DataGridView is

query = "SELECT field1,[date],item,serial_no,radio_station,status,[by] " & _
        "  FROM myTable " & _
        " WHERE userid = " & userid

This will retrieve only records for that user. You'll note that some fieldnames are surrounded by [ and ]. That is because "date" and "by" are reserved words. It's easier to just not use reserved words for field names.

i have some questions:

1. is it possible that a datagridview can have encryption?
  2. how can i show datagridview in another form that have already datas but cannot be edited, i mean, it's just a read only. is it possible?

I presume you mean you want the data in the database to be encrypted. Why?

You can set a DataGridView to be read only.

i have a question:

1. is it possible to like for example, i have form1 wherein my datageidview is located, then i have form2 which has a button, then when i click that button, it will show the datagridview from form1, but he cannot edit it. i mean, it's just a table for reading.

@reverend - for protection i guess? anyways, just ignore the encryption thingy.

I would imagine you just use the same datasource and set the ReadOnly ptoperty to True.

As for encryption, just put the proper access rights on the database to restrict access. You could, if you wanted, use encryption. There are several examples on DaniWeb of how to encrypt/decrypt text.

i kind of need help badly, so i have already made my database in access and i was like wondering, how come i didn't put any oledbconnections thingy from my code page. i only do the one with the data source thingy, so what should i do? can someone help me put the codes needed for my project. when i published it, it doesn't seem to work. it has errors. please, i need your help guys.

this is the code i made so far

Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class admin

Dim conadmin As New OleDbConnection
Dim dbprovideradmin As String
Dim dbsourceadmin As String
Dim dsadmin As New DataSet
Dim daadmin As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
Dim sqladmin As String

Private Sub TblAdminBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
    Me.Validate()
    Me.TblAdminBindingSource.EndEdit()
    Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.ProjectDataSet)

End Sub

Private Sub admin_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
    Me.TblAdminTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin)

dbprovideradmin = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;"
    dbsourceadmin = "Data Source=|DataDirectory|\project.accdb"

conadmin.ConnectionString = dbprovideradmin & dbsourceadmin

conadmin.Open()
    MsgBox("database is now open")
    sqladmin = " SELECT *FROM tblAdmin"
    daadmin = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sqladmin, conadmin)
    daadmin.Fill(dsadmin, "project")

conadmin.Close()

End Sub

Private Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click

Try
        Me.Validate()
        Me.TblAdminBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.ProjectDataSet)
    Catch ex As Exception
        MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub btnAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.AddNew()

End Sub

Private Sub btnDelete_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDelete.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.RemoveCurrent()

End Sub

Private Sub btnFirst_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFirst.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.MoveFirst()

End Sub

Private Sub btnPrevious_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrevious.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.MovePrevious()

End Sub

Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.MoveNext()

End Sub

Private Sub btnLast_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLast.Click
    TblAdminBindingSource.MoveLast()

End Sub

Private Sub btndateadmin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btndateadmin.Click
    Try
        Me.TblAdminTableAdapter.ADMINDATE(Me.ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin, TextBox1.Text)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub btnitemadmin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnitemadmin.Click
    Try
        Me.TblAdminTableAdapter.ITEMADMIN(Me.ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin, txtitemadmin.Text)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub btnsnadmin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnsnadmin.Click
    Try
        Me.TblAdminTableAdapter.SNADMIN(Me.ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin, txtsnadmin.Text)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub btnRSadmin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRSadmin.Click
    Try
        Me.TblAdminTableAdapter.RSADMIN(Me.ProjectDataSet.tblAdmin, txtRSadmin.Text)
    End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    admintable.Show()

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    login.Show()
    Me.Hide()

End Sub

End Class

but whenever i try to publish it. it says something like cannot find file etc etc. at system.oledb. thingy,
what should i do then.? i only have 3 days left and i need to make it work.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. HELP me. :D

but whenever i try to publish it. it says something like cannot find file etc etc. at system.oledb. thingy,

If you need this resolved quickly then you shouldn't waste time by making us guess what you mean by

1. "something like"
  2. "etc etc"
  3. "thingy"

okay so these are the problems.

FiRST, when i publish it then install. it will open a web window that says "This webpage is not found

No webpage was found for the web address: file:///C:/%22
Error 6 (net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The file or directory could not be found."

SECOND, after it was being installed, when i run the program, actually, it will pop out immediately after the installation" *my first form was actually the login)
so when i logged in. a msgbox will show that says the following:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your app. if you click Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. if you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\Data\9T50BLRP.OE2\DBCX16K5.0ZH\oper..tion_fd30fd3d619257e_0001.0000_d680507192dc0f11\Data\project.accdb.'

then it has button with Details. these are the ones under the details button:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\Data\9T50BLRP.OE2\DBCX16K5.0ZH\oper..tion_fd30fd3d6192575e_0001.0000_d680507f92dc0f11\Data\project.accdb'.
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection, ConnectionState& originalState)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)
   at operations_database.projectDataSetTableAdapters.tblAdminTableAdapter.Fill(tblAdminDataTable dataTable)
   at operations_database.admin.admin_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
operations database - REAL
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Local%20Settings/Apps/2.0/XXRD7TAE.HX3/21B5A4AO.GVH/oper..tion_fd30fd3d6192575e_0001.0000_d680507f92dc0f11/operations%20database%20-%20REAL.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data.DataSetExtensions
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.DataSetExtensions/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" ></system>
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

HOPE YOU COULD HELP ME FIX this

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.