im trying to put an image in the background of my form so that it cptures full screen n i donno how to dp that.
my code is follows:

Me.BackgroundImage = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile("school.jpg")

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Click your form and set your background image in properties. Simple as that, no need for codes :)

Or place an imagebox then dock it full to populate the entire space of your form's background then set the stretch property of the imagebox.

A programmatic solution to this would be handy; my desire is to have the background image change periodically. Using VS2010, I've tried

Me.BackgroundImage = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile("[filename]")

but all I get is a FileNotFoundException, even though I've added the file to the project.

The problem is that you are setting it to just the file name.

You have to give a full path (or relative if it remains constant) to the file location and it's name.

But as yvrej17 has stated:

Click your form and set your background image in properties. Simple as that, no need for codes :)

You can do this by clicking the form in designer view, and locating the BackgroundImage property in the properties pane (defaults to the bottom right of screen) and navigating to the picture.

If you still wish to add it programmaticly you can do so this way:

'Located in the same directory as the solution.
Me.BackgroundImage = Image.FromFile(".\MyImage.jpg")

'Located in the Desktop Directory
Me.BackgroundImage = Image.FromFile("C:\users\myUser\Desktop\MyImage.jpg")

'If stored in directories above current directory.
Me.BackgroundImage = Image.FromFile("..\..\MyImage.jpg")
'              Two directories         ^

@Begginnerdev:

Yes, the desire is to do it programmatically; it's to be a themed "happy birthday" greeting when the app initializes, and I don't relish the idea of having to recompile just to change the image.

So: thanks for your tip on folder specificity; that was the killer.

not working in vb6

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.