I copied qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp (no way to tell the version ?) from my Dos 6 Install floppy into a folder. Qbasic.exe executes ok either from within or outside the folder, but can't access its help file. I used the qbasic options 'help path' tab to enter the correct path but xp is using the wrong prog to open it with. The Qbasic.hlp file 'property' shows that xp is trying to use winhelp32 stub to open it but can't. Apparently a .hlp file needs a helper file to work?? What other file from xp or my Dos 6 floppy can I redirect the "property open with" field?? Or is there an alternate qb help file I can make work??

I want only a help file that xp can execute. Please no 'switch to vb' program suggestions.

Perhaps this post would be better understood in the xp or Basic forum??

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

The file QBASIC.HLP is not a Windows Help file, so WinHelp cannot open it.
You need a program named HELP.COM. If you google olddos.exe you should find the Microsoft package that contains QBasic and other utilities, like Help.com.

Hope this helps (pun intended) :icon_lol:

I copied the following files from the DOS 6 (a 32 bit OS) install floppy to XP folder q: help.com, help.exe, qbasic.hlp, qbasic.exe. I changed qbasic.hlp props to 'open with' help.com.

In a dos window:
Ran qbasic and changed the help file path to folder q.
If I run qbasic.exe, F1, the diag 'bad file mode' pops up.
If I run help.com - same thing.
Changed changed qbasic.hlp props to 'open with' help.exe. Same thing.

Does any one have this thing working in XP ??

The file QBASIC.HLP is not a Windows Help file, so WinHelp cannot open it.
You need a program named HELP.COM. If you google olddos.exe you should find the Microsoft package that contains QBasic and other utilities, like Help.com.

Hope this helps (pun intended) :icon_lol:

I'm running XP and QBasic and help work fine for me. I can't reproduce your problem. Sorry I can't help you further...

Do you know where/how you acquired the files ? There seem to be many versions - quick basic/qbasic/qb45 etc. What is your folder & file structure ? Are all/which qbasic files in same folder ? Did you enter/change file properties, paths, autoexec.nt, config.nt ? Do you run in CMD or Command Window or in "DOS BOX" (a 3rd party emulator) ?

I can run the same files OK in a Win98 partition but not in XP. Thank you for your time & attention.

I'm running XP and QBasic and help work fine for me. I can't reproduce your problem. Sorry I can't help you further...

Hmm, I hadn't considered different versions. I'm using QBasic version 1.1, and everything is just piled in one folder on my G: drive. I run it from the default windows command prompt.

What version are you trying to work with?

My Qbasic came from Dos 6 Install Disk. Qb.. version is not detectable in any way I have tried ?? The same version executed from a Win98se task runs qb.. help ok. It's an XP compatibility boffup. I will just boot to 98 to run qb..

MS has apparently adopted its default "buy our new version if you want your stuff to work in XP" policy of magnificent indifference. Maybe some OS historian will stumble upon a solution someday ?

Thanks for your curiousity & attitutude of help. It does help to balance the scales of decency.

Ed

Hmm, I hadn't considered different versions. I'm using QBasic version 1.1, and everything is just piled in one folder on my G: drive. I run it from the default windows command prompt.

What version are you trying to work with?

If it is from any of the DOS 6.x series or Windows 9x then it is QBasic 1.1. However, the editor (EDIT.EXE) changed for Windows 9x. Since DOS 6 is a 16-bit OS and Win 9x is 32-bit, you might want to search the web for the later editor. I'm using the 2.0.026 version of EDIT.EXE, copyrighted by MS in 1995. It doesn't have the WordStar diamond, but takes all the WordStar keys just fine...

Good luck.

I think edit.exe (a text editor) is one of the relevant functions in the operation of the help file system none of which are text files. However you may have the hit the nail wrt 16 vs 32 bit file formats. I had forgot that dos6 was not 32bit. I will give it one more look wrt this but have seen other informed advice to fuggetaboutit.

According to MS and a couple of other links these are the only required files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/109508

I see that you are as stubborn about this stuff as I am. It's hard to accept defeat eh??

Cheers: Ed

If it is from any of the DOS 6.x series or Windows 9x then it is QBasic 1.1. However, the editor (EDIT.EXE) changed for Windows 9x. Since DOS 6 is a 16-bit OS and Win 9x is 32-bit, you might want to search the web for the later editor. I'm using the 2.0.026 version of EDIT.EXE, copyrighted by MS in 1995. It doesn't have the WordStar diamond, but takes all the WordStar keys just fine...

Good luck.

Yeah. As far as I am concerned, the computer is there to serve me, not the other way around. ;)

The MS article you linked references only which files may be corrupted for the error to occur. QBasic has always used EDIT.COM or EDIT.EXE to do its editing. Version 1.1 is where the editor was rewritten.

Have you tried just going to the command prompt and typing help qbasic.hlp ? If that works, then it is definitely EDIT... If not, then it is definitely a corruption in one of the listed files...

Let me know what happens.

Yeah. As far as I am concerned, the computer is there to serve me, not the other way around. ;)

Then why are you using WinBlows? :icon_twisted:

Good question! :-/

I do have to hit it fairly hard, and regularly. Sometimes with a good, heavy bludger. ;)

Problem solved: I had copied Qbasic.exe and Qbasic.hlp from a Dos 6 installation disk. The .exe is ok but the .hlp is incompatible with W98.

Eventually I stumbled on a functioning Qbasic.hlp which W98se original installation had routinely and without .exe or a readme placed in the Windows\Command folder.

W98se Install Disk did not include Qbasic, only its hlp. Gotta love that Microsoft don'cha??

Problem solved: I had copied Qbasic.exe and Qbasic.hlp from a Dos 6 installation disk. The .exe is ok but the .hlp is incompatible with W98.

Eventually I stumbled on a functioning Qbasic.hlp which W98se original installation had routinely and without .exe or a readme placed in the Windows\Command folder.

W98se Install Disk did not include Qbasic, only its hlp. Gotta love that Microsoft don'cha??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.